peugeot 306 xsi fuel system

hi everyone!!!

i drive a 2 leter v reg xsi peugeot, i keep getting a hissing noise when i remove my fuel cap, i have had my breather pipe cleaned and and my fuel feeder pipes cleaned,there is no problem inside my tank as i can see. I have been told it is not venting properly and my machanic drilled a small hole in my petrol cap to let the pressure out that is building up in my tank, and now it makes a glugging noise like my fuel is bubbling about, it sounds like my tank has fish in it!!!!!

if anybody could help me i would be very gratefull. THANKS

Reply to
sarahhewis

The message from "sarahhewis" contains these words:

It's normal. Don't worry about it. DON'T drill a hole in the fuel cap, they're supposed to be sealed.

I had several Corsas which made the most amazing whooshing sound as the cap was removed. The tanks are kept below atmospheric pressure to reduce escape of unburnt fuel vapour - if they were at normal pressure then as the day warmed up they'd pressurise and then the car would have to have systems to deal with this.

Reply to
Guy King

Get your mechanic to buy you a new cap, then DO NOT let him anywhere near your car again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Agreed. Sack your "mechanic", he obviously has no idea what he is on.

Reply to
gazzafield

Its the opposite actually, the tank pressurises until the vapours can be released into the intake and burn off without effecting AFR (i.e. at higher revs) so city drivers will experience highly pressurised tanks, those who spend a lot of time at >2.5-3K revs will not.

Coyoteboy

The message from "Coyoteboy" contains these words:

Possibly, but I'm absolutely sure the Corsa was a low pressure. You could see the loose sticker under the flap suck towards the inlet sometimes.

It may be that different manufacturers have adopted different approaches to this.

Whatever the case, the OP shouldn't have been drilling holes in her fuel cap!

Reply to
Guy King

Interesting, not sure why it would be allowed to go to low pressure, a) itd restrict the pump and b) theres no need as you could add a simple check valve so as to let air in but not vapours out.I'll look into it, if i get time, out of curiosity.

Coyoteboy

great if you find anything intresting let me no thanks

Reply to
sarahhewis via CarKB.com

let me no what u find if its anything intresting

Reply to
sarahhewis via CarKB.com

will do thats proberbly why he is so cheap

Reply to
sarahhewis via CarKB.com