fuel smell peugeot 205

Hi,

I have a fuel smell inside my peugeot 205, stronger at the back. It can be bad enough to not want ot use the car. I have check the fuel pump under the back seat which is ok. I think its must be coming from the tank, but a garage has checked underneath and cant see anything. There is a smell around the filler cap, but wouldn't you expect that!? The smell is not coming from under the bonnet. I cant see a breather pipe, but presumably there has to be one.

Has any of you had similar problem? Any advice would be much appreciated as its a nice little car other than this. It is an L reg automatic.

Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
mike.millmansvs

Have you checked the return pipe from engine to tank.also the pipe that gos from pump to engine check that under the car from back to front, also check joints.

Reply to
Chrs

I had a 205 once that suddenly burst into flames. After the fire brigade put it out I found that the metal pipe going into the fuel pump had worked itself loose.

Reply to
Greg the leg

Thanks for the replies. WE checked the pipes but vcouldn't find anything. The smell is strongest at the back near the cap, but also insde the car, and we think it may be the rubber sleeve inside the body is letting fumes from the filler pipe into the car. The breather system seems a bit odd, in that there is a plastic bottle just above the filler cap. Haynes (bless em) dont say anything about this, or indeed much at all about the petrol system.

Hopefully it wont blow up! We just drive with our heads outside the window at the moment!

Mike

Reply to
mike.millmansvs

check all the clips on the pipe,are tight and not just done up with out fitting onto the inner pipes.

Reply to
Chrs