Polish

Which? have just published a test on car waxes. The posh ones like Zymol, Mer, Autoglym etc came absolutely nowhere. The winners were Turtle Wax Color Magic Plus and Halfords Colour Polish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

How did they test? I don't want to sound like a tosser, but some people are a lot fussier than others. The sort of thing I get the rubbing compound out for, my Dad wouldn't even notice. Did they take into account ease of application etc. or was it all purely on level of shine and longevity?

Reply to
Doki

Dave Plowman mumbled:

And what do they know about car waxes? ;-)

Then again, what do I know about car waxes! I never even wash the damn thing.

Reply to
Guy King

The 2 cars I have at the moment came with some Color Magic in the boot when I got them. Horrible stuff, and not very effective.

Turtle Wax = bleeding hard work.

So I tend not to bother.

I did wash one the other week though. Living on the coast you get a lot of sand & seagull shit.

Reply to
Nervous O'Toole

I have Color Magic and Mer and Mer is far superior, guess there is people who test polishes and those who actaully polish there cars!

Tosh

Reply to
tosh

Exactly! I've been advocating the use of this technique for years. Ours *never* get washed, and they form a protective layer of road oil, soot and dirt which is far more effective than wax. It never needs maintaining, and looks great once you get used to it.

Reply to
Grunff

I'd think anyone could devise a series of tests given some thought. And Which are rather good at that. Of course, they don't include emotion which sells most of these things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Color Magic, or Color Magic Plus? There's quite a difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yes - I like the Extreme - although it's got a fairly harsh cutting compound built in. But it didn't do so well in the tests.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

They polished half of each similar panels taken from cars. And several different types of paint. Checked the 'shinyness' scientifically, and how long it lasted. As well as other things. You'd need to read it for the full info.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Which? don't mess about. It's pure result based regardless of marketing=20 hype and word of mouth which I know Autoglym has been living on for=20 years.

--=20 ________________________ Conor Turton conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ICQ:31909763 ________________________

Reply to
Conor

I use extreme too, the paste one not the liquid one, and it's great. Polish with extreme paste then wipe over with the spray on instant shine stuff (extreme fast wax?) to get rid of the last traces of polish dust - lasts for months. Bought one jar about 2 yrs ago and still using it (on two cars).

Reply to
Tim S Kemp