Car Shampoo

Anyone here used Zymol or Autoglym car wash? Preferably both, which one is 'better' they are about a quid difference in price. TIA

Reply to
Avanti

I use Zymol stuff on my weekend toy - tis expensive but worth it on cars that have a colour paint finish on the surface (as opposed to clear coat). The Zymol Autobathe is very mild & doesn't take existing wax off the car (which a lot of car shampoos do). What the the HD Cleanse paint renovator does has to be seen to be believed.

For the daily jelly moulds (with clear coat paint finishes) I use Autoglym stuff - its quick & easy & works fine. Not worth spending Zymol money on those.

All that said it depends "which" Zymol you are talking about - I believe that you can by some Zymol branded stuff over the counter now - but t'aint the real thing unless it looks like the stuff seen here....

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

The Zymol you get at Halfords isn't the same as their "proper" stuff, AFAIK it's OEM'd for them by Turtle Wax.

I use Meguiars Gold Class, cheap enough, works great IMHO.

regards, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

It's a Golf 5, I have used the Autoglym but finished the bottle and wondered whether to try something else, not sure what the paint type is, the Autoglym brings the car up nice and I have applied the deep gloss shine wax. The Zymol i'm on about is the stuff at halfrauds for 6ukp.

Reply to
Avanti

Interesting to know that, as TW is cheaper, after spending the amount I did on the car I could sort of justify the 'proper' Zymol but wonder if I'm just being a sucker to the marketing boys......

Reply to
Avanti

I wouldn't say being a sucker, it's meant to be good stuff but I do think they're maybe trading off the name a little, it's certainly mass produced vs their expensive lines.

I think the Meguiars stuff is about as good as you will get regardless of price.

Make sure you use half-decent applicators and cloths too, I know it sounds obvious but so many people spend thousands on a new car and then polish it with the towels that aren't good enough for the bathroom :-)

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

I never understand why companies do that, risking their name & product reputation by allowing a cheaper brand to stick their label on it.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Same here, another vote for Meguairs Gold Class

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

Clear coat over a colour base - hard as nails

I'd stick with it

Not the real deal....

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

I've used washing up liquid for years, I find fairy the best if a bit expensive. myk

Reply to
myk

yeah great stuff aint it, and green scouring pads are great at getting the bird crap off too ... those wash mits are such a waste of money

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

The message from "Mad Ad" contains these words:

Don't joke. I knew a girl who went over her white Mini with Vim just before her driving test. It was raining, so she didn't notice the nice matt finish until it dried out that afternoon.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Nicely keyed for a quick coat of Dulux.

Reply to
Adrian

The only problem being that just like it takes grease off your pans, it also takes any wax off of your cars paintwork.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings