Polo coolant capacity

I've just changed the coolant on my son's 1990 Polo (1043 engine). The Haynes manual reckoned it should take 6.5 litres and the VW handbook reckoned approx 5 litres.

When I refilled it, it only took 3 litres. Unfortunately my lad disposed of the old stuff so I don't know for sure how much came out. I made sure the heater was set to hot and was squeezing all the hoses to try and expel any air. I undone the bleed screw on the heater control valve and also various hoses.

The engine ran up to temp fine and the heater was working but I was still convinced I had an airlock because it only took 3 litres . This morning I drained it down again and refilled it. Again it only took 3 litres. Are the books wrong?

The thermostat is at the end of the bottom hose, which is cooler. Does that mean that the thermostat actually works by controlling the coolant leaving the radiator rather than controlling the coolant entering it?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

There is no way you can get all of the old coolant out without taking the engine apart and draining the block etc, also the heater matrix does not tend to drain from the main hose at the bottom of the radiator.

Two thorough drainings as you have done should be more than sufficient.

Andy

I have had 4 polos 2 * 1098, 1043, 1298

Reply to
Denley

In message , Denley writes

Thanks for that Andy. Its done about 40 miles today and it seems fine.

Reply to
Paul Giverin