poor running, lack of power

Car is an 8V MKII GTi..

it is slow in responding when you open the throttle. It is firing on all cylinders, and ticks over Ok. What's the likely cause? Something as simple as a blocked fuel filter? Or more likely to be new leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm and timing? Fuel pump?

Never done anything with one of these, thinking about a cheap summer project. Found one, but it's got the above engine problem. I want to know if it's worth the hassle really? Don't want to spend much at all as we're saving to move maybe. I need something to tinker with in the summer though! Cheap parts, VW build quality. Can I go wrong? It's a D-reg for £140 BTW, 135K miles, never modified.

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

firing on all

to be new

Ignition or valve timing? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike P" wrote

Dunno if the ECU is digifant, but this may help:

There may be corrosion on the connector and pins for the ECU. Timing is also good one for loss of power, weak spark ....

Also, if it is digifant, you have to set the ignition timing with the connector off the blue sensor at the front of the engine, the breather pipe from the rocker cover disconnected and blocked and the engine must be running at 2500rpm!

Jon