Primera tyre recommendations please

Hi,

My 94 Primera 1.6 hatch is due for new rubber (size 175/70/14T). Just got 40K out of some cheapish Kleber tyres. My priorities in something like order are: Noise and smooth ride Fuel economy wet traction dry traction

I'm looking particularly at: Dunlop SP30 (£34.60 on mytyres gives ~£180 for 4 fitted) Michelin Energy E3A (£40.20 on mytyres gives ~£200 for 4 fitted) At the cheap end, National have a 2 for 1 special on Avon and Barum. Avon at £53 gives £146 for 4 fitted. Any good ??? The guy on the phone was quite enthusiastic about them Barum at £45 gives £130 for 4 fitted. Any good ???

Comments most welcome on these tyres or other suggestions.

TIA

Reply to
primera guy

I hate Avons - I had some on my Passat & my father's just taken some off his Saab, noisy & didn't last on both counts.

Michelin Primacys if you can stretch to them - shop around, they vary in price a lot. The cheapest place to buy Michelins is usually Costco if you are anywhere near one & know anyone who has a membership.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

I'd suggest you re-think your priorities.

Tyres are there to provide grip on the road surface - this is their primary objective. Granted, you don't want tyres that are stickier than the sticky bun that sticky the stick insect got stuck on, but you don't want something with all the grip properties of teflon, like the Klebers.

It may look as though you're saving money using cheap teflon tyres, but you won't be thinking that when you mow someone down because your tyres locked up when you looked at the brake pedal.

Dunlop SP30s should be fine. That's not a silly price for them either.

You can't go wrong with the Yokohamas at that price.

Avons are OK, but I wouldn't go anywhere near Barums.

Reply to
SteveH

OK, I put that badly. I wish I'd just said "noise and smooth ride are especially important" !!!

you don't

I've found the traction of the Klebers OK.

I'm tending toward the Dunlop SP30. Is it the Yokohama S306 at £40.90 x4 = £164 that you are suggesting ?

Cheers,

Reply to
primera guy

Yeah, I like Yokohama tyres. They're *very* grippy, but the S306 is more road orientated than the A539s I last used.

Reply to
SteveH

Agreed.

I just bought two 225/55/16 Primacys:

Kwik-Fit 160 each Costco 123 mytyres.co.uk 117 Bracknell Tyre and Battery 111 Tyres Galore (Leicester) 111

Both the last two were the first prices they offered.

Reply to
Grant

Where abouts do you live? I'm in Bracknell, and have a rough idea of what to pay for tyres, and now just go straight to BT+B as I've tried the phoning around thing before, and they've been cheapest without a doubt every time. Another local place (Total Tyres, Binfield) come close, but can't match them on price - service is good at both places, though there's often a very long wait at BT+B.

Other cheap places include Headley tyres near Newbury and Micheldever Tyres (just off the A303), but I've always found BT+B to be very close to these guys, even if not *quite* as cheap.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It would be worth you checking the fitting charge before you buy from Mytyre, some of the fitting charges maybe out of date. Apart from that Mytyre are hard to beat on price and delivery.

Reply to
Fred

For the last five years, 10 miles from Tyres Galore. Before that, 10 miles from Bracknell. I've always waited until I was next back in Reading before gettting tyres but decided to ring round a few local places first this time.

Reply to
Grant