wiper to arm connectors

On a coulpe of cars recently I have bought replacement wipers which contain a sort of 3 in 1 gizmo to conect the wiper arm to the wiper. It us supposed to guarantee a fit to any car. However I have found that usually the width of the arm is too much , by only a small margin, to fit inside the fitting and wont, even with some force fit the "u" of the arm. Was there some sort of change made to arms - metric or imperial or something as the only way to fit is to use the original connectors, not ideal. Suppose I could file the arm down but bit of a pain. Tks

Reply to
Capt T

Never had that problem. You just need to use more force, as some can be quite tight to get on.

Reply to
moray

you shouldnt need to file anything down as moray says they can be a bit tight, the ones we fit come with an assortment of different clips.

Reply to
reg

The last ones I tried had one clip claiming three fittings possible. Its when you come to insert it into the u bit that things stop.Its not a question of a bit more force the channel into which the arm sits is not large enough insertion. Any force would , I am sure, destruct the fitting.To try would mean some sort of clamp to ram it in. Can`t be right surely??

Reply to
Capt T

No. Are you /sure/ you have the right wiper blade?

Reply to
Gordon

I think he's got the wrong car for the wiper.

Reply to
Pete M

ROFL!

Reply to
Gordon

I battled for a while with SWMBO's wipers, BF&I just didn't work. Then a moment of revalation dawned and feeling like a right idiot I put the clip onto the arm in the right way and it just clicked into place.

Reply to
malc

Are you fitting the clip to the replacement blade before putting it onto the wiper arm or are you doing it the other way round?

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

">

Fitting the clip to the blade then trying to insert up into the "U" shapped part of the arm. The clips have "sides" to them giving you a definitive width that can be inserted.The toyota original arm is just a fraction to big and any amount of force will just cause the clips demise.I was wondering originally if it was a metric/imperial thing. The car is P reg so bit old I suppose.

Reply to
Capt T

Why not try trimming the edges of the clips? Easier to do and a lot less hassle to put right than modifying the arms.

The reason I asked about the order that you were assembling it was because you will not be able to get the clip in place on the arm and then attach the new blade. Well not without nearly skewering yourself on the end of the arm :-) DAMHIKIJD

As far as I knew all the wiper arms were a standard width, are you sure that the blades are the right ones for your car? Maybe they were on the wrong peg or put in the wrong hole at the car parts place?

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I've had some that were *really* tight before now. I ground the tiniest tad off the side of the arms since I happened to have a Dremel handy, but sanding/cutting the plastic may be easier.

Reply to
PCPaul

Well I will try again at the weekend as the pivot point on the blade is smaller than the originals so the blade does ratlle around a bit. Should have been a simple matter but no sods law rides again. Thanks for all your thoughts...

Reply to
Capt T