mystery water loss

Hi I have an S reg Renault Megane 1.4 which is losing water but I'm unable to find any obvious leak. I topped up this morning before going out on a round journey of about 20 miles. In that time I lost at least 2 litres of water and the heater hardly got warm but by the end of my journey was blowing cold. The engine didn't start to overheat but when the thermostat initially opened the engine temp went higher than usual but quickly fell to normal after it opened. I've checked hoses etc but can not find any obvious signs of leaks. I've been told that it could be a blown head gasket but the car is not down on power and the oil doesn't appear to be contaminated with water. This has been going on for about 4 or 5 days now and I'm hoping someone has a few suggestions as to the cause.

TIA Phil

Reply to
pp

Just to add to this post. Now there's some slight emulsifying of the oil at the end of the dipstick and underneath the oil filler cap. It doesn't yet feel down on the power but am I right in thinking that it's looking like the head gasket blown? Anyone know about how much it'll cost to get repaired?

Reply to
pp

In news:glozh.271030$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,

It's the head gasket, I'd guess at around £400 at a local garage.

Reply to
Pete M

Just to add, your local garage should be able to do a sniff test to give you a definite answer.

Reply to
Conor