proton supra - odd problem

Hi,

A friend has a proton supra and has a problem with starting it sometimes. The problem is the key won't turn in the ignition unless you moe the steering wheel a fraction to the left or right if you don't the key won't turn around? It doesn't happen every time you want to start there car just every now and again.

He took it to a garage and they couldn't sus it out so I thought I'd ask in here if anyone has any ideas.

TIA

Reply to
souls

it's the steering lock lol. 99% of cars do this. if the wheels are at an angle, the steering wheel has pressure exerted against it and the wheel rests firmly against the locking mechanism that is deactivated by turning the key. the movement required is to ease the strain on the catch in the ignition barrel.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

sounds like the key barrel is packing up, have you tried a new key ( spare ) or lubricating the lock ?

Reply to
reg

lol ... will pass it on

Reply to