Puddle of clean oil under near-side driveshaft

Last night as I parked on our drive I noticed a large dark patch. I reversed back and confirmed I wasn't seeing things. I then parked up and took a look underneath. I could see 1 fresh patch, 1 older/drier patch. I believe the older patch is actually quite new, as I've never noticed any marking before last night. Both patches were probably around/at least 1' in diameter. New patch was fresh, wet, clean oil and had a noticable smell when sniffed. It seemed like new oil (as opposed to used engine oil).

The car is a 1998 Pug 306 which had both front wishbones replaced on Monday and an MOT retest.

Taking a second look under the car last night, it looks as if the oil is coming from the near side driveshaft as it exits the gearbox. Whilst fresh oil appears all around the area, it seems that it's coming from around the driveshaft.

I dropped the car into a garage this morning (NOT the one which did the wishbones). He said it was suspicious that it happened so soon after the wishbones, and wondered whether they'd disturbed the driveshaft when doing it. He asked what they could spend before they needed to contact me and said their hour rate was £56 + VAT, and was an hour okay. Sounded fine to me. They called be back within the hour (actually just now, whilst I was writing this) with a diagnosis and cost. Apparently the oil seal has gone, they've ordered one in for me, total cost £60 to replace, should be done today. To me this sounds fair. I need the car tomorrow - hence wanting it looked at and fixed ASAP.

I'm quite pleased with their turnaround (for an unbooked drive in for a small garage which often seems very busy during the day).

Depending on what they say - I *may* try getting the cost back from the original garage - but I don't hold much hope. When I've queried things with them recently, I've had a not terribly helpful result (eg. was told replacing wishbones was marginally easier than just bushes, and the 1.5 hours the last time would be the same this time - it's a book time, not an actual time - actually turned out at 2 hours - no explanation why the increase in time. Similarly, when I asked how the examiner would check for 'broken/cracked bushes' and how could I confirm it - was just told "that's what the examiner said was wrong".)

The last time they did the bushes (2 years ago), they stripped the bolt and I had to bring it back in (after trying to convince them that the new knocking sound which only started after they did the work was due to them). I guess I had the thought that they'd not cover this new problem under the wishbone warranty, and then charge me for the work (may be fair - but doesn't feel it!). Actually, truth be told - when I noticed the puddle of oil, I actually thought they must have deliberately done something which would cause me to take it back into them to get the work done! Call me a cynic!

Does anyone think I have any chance of getting the other garage to refund the cost of getting it fixed, or am I being unreasonable? I guess I should have taken it back to them to get it fixed (as it would only cost them time, not money) - but I expected them to wriggle out of it and still charge me, claiming it was a separate issue, completely coincidental that it was only 2-3 days after they did the work that I noticed the failure.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

You won't get your money back. If you wanted to try, it should have gone straight back to them. Change your garage.

Reply to
gazzafield

Seems a fair price.

It's not fair, not if the problem was caused by them. Sounds like they've removed the driveshaft as part of doing the bushes (I can't see how this is neccessary - separating all the balljoints should be enough to give the front strut free motion to make it possibly to change), and not put it back in properly enough in order to make a proper seal.

It may or may not be. Some idiot could have removed the driveshaft as part of doing the job, and not made the seal properly on re-inserting it, but it shouldn't have to come out anyway (well, I'd have thought not), and they might use this in their defence "nah, we wouldn't disturb any seal doing that job, etc etc.". My money's on the fact that they have though. Worth a try (unlikely to be successful as you didn't go straight back to them with it though), but if I were you I'd just take it on the chin and not use that garage again, especially as you seem to have found a good one.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yeah, that's my thinking too. Shouldn't have needed to disturb the driveshaft, but probably did (maybe allowing the hub etc to swing/drop, causing the shaft to slide out??). Chances of proving it are slim, even if I'd taken it straight back to them. I just didn't feel like giving them any more money at the moment! Didn't expect I'd be successful in getting any money back from the other garage really - there's no guarantee that is was caused by them I guess (although highly likely).

I'm planning on using this garage now for more work in the future - just to see how they go. Their hourly rates are about £10 an hour more than the other garage - but they're smaller (so I guess their overheads are a greater proportion of the hourly charge). If I'm happy with them after an MOT/extra work, I may stick with them.

Thanks for the advice.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I'd be very surprised if you get any joy from the original garage.. Even if they did accept liability, why should they have to pay another garage to rectify something which could have been done cheaper by themselves?

The law recognises that in such situations, and where possible, a company at fault should always be given the opportunity to put that fault right _before_ resorting to having it fixed elsewhere. By not doing that you have effectively waived any claim you might have had. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

No problem there - and I fully agree - I just didn't want to give the original garage the opportunity to charge me for the repairs. I'm happy to pay the other garage to do it - just not the original one!

Thanks again,

David

Reply to
David Hearn

you should have at least given the original garage the chance to put anything right, but since you haven't you wont know now, even if they go halves with you at least its something, coincidence's do happen some times ! & you should always ask for the parts to be kept, so if you want to see them they are readily available, we keep all ours for a week then they get binned.

The drive shaft's on the Pugs do slip in & out very easy, I know ive had it happen to me whilst changing a lower wishbone, you do get some " spilt " transmission oil, but generally a top up is all that's required.

we have made mistakes & put our hands up to them, but you always get the " well you were the last ones to touch it ! " brigade, which gets my back up straight away, some jobs just don't go according to plan, seized bolts, broken bolts ect ect but we always keep our customers informed of what is happening & if any extra cost is going to be incurred by them.

as they say........ its good to talk !

Reply to
reg

Is it definitely gear oil? It has a very distinctive sulphurous smell.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable