Pug 106 ticking/creaking on cornering

The car is a 1996 Peugot 106 Graduate 1.0. On moderate to hard cornering, I get a ticking/rumbling noise from the area of the front wheels. It sounds pretty similar to the wooden creaking noise of an unmanned rudder flapping about on a boat. Is this CV joints or something else?

Thanks in advance, Jim

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Creaking seems odd and more like a failing rubber bush somewhere but rumbling/squalking/knocking/ticking on cornering are all signs of outer CV failure. IIRC the 106 needs a new shaft, the CVs cant be replaced alone - but check up with a motor factors before taking my word on that.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Correct. A fully made up ready to fit recon drive shaft is not expensive, cheapest in my area is about 45 quid from Bedford Battery. Not a particularly difficult job to do as long as you have a balljoint splitter. CV joints on these and the AX (same car to all intents and purposes) are a known failure point.

Doesn't mean it's necessarily the problem you have, though. Try the drive-it-round-on-full-lock-and-listen-for-clicking test.

Reply to
Vim Fuego