Pug 106 - airbag light on

Hi all My wife has a 106 and this morning on the way to work the airbag light came on for no apparent reason, flashing on & off. It then went to constant on and when she restarted it later, it went back to flashing - she didn't drive it long enough to get the light constantly on. A friend at work seems to think it may well be the connectors underneath the front seats that need taking apart and carefully cleaning and then reassembling. I would very much appreciate the groups views and experiences and any helpful advice - especially for the cleaning operation. Many thanks O.N.

Reply to
Ono Notim

No doubt one of the experts will be able to give instructions on cleaning et al. I can tell you that it is a very common fault across the whole Peugeot range. I can also tell you that it does not mean the airbag is likely to go off, quite the reverse I believe as it is less likely to work. I also seem to remember that many people have soldered the wires rather than use what I believe is an inferior quality connector, but hopefully one of the experts on the group (and there are a number to whom I for one am deeply indebted) will comment.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Same problem on our 306. There's a connector attached to the underside of the seats which connect to the seat belt pre-tensioners. Happens to us every few months or so. Solution is to just disconnect and reconnect the connector. I always do it with the ignition off, but never worry much about how long I have it turned off for - often just pull over at the side of the road, remove key, fiddle with connector and restart car and drive off.

I'm sure someone will say that's not recommended and you should disconnect the battery for 30 minutes before fiddling with airbag stuff, but - so far - I've not had a problem doing it my way. ;)

David Hearn

Nah, that's alright. I've taken airbags off immediately after switching off. In fact I once, by mistake, did one with the ignition on (don't try this at home though. I didn't reconnect with the ignition on. I think that would have been silly!!!)

Reply to
nigel

Hi all. just a quick message to say dave`s reply was spot on. my 1999 406

2l gtx side airbag fault lamp was up, just split connection under drivers seat( brown on mine) cleaned with a rag and prob was sorted. thanks dave!!
Reply to
jazzy29