Pug 406 - the good, the bad and the downright ugly

Hey

I was wondering if any of you peeps could give me some advice on the good and bad points for a Pug 406 1.8LXi 16v? What I should be looking for when considering buying one privately? Are there any known problems, niggly faults (apart from the infamous boot!) and anything I should keep my eye on/should stay away from?

I have been offered a good example of a 1996 N plate with 98k and am currently deciding what to do. I currently have a fiesta, but am now covering a lot more motorway miles and would like a larger car and this has appeared at about the right time.

TIA Moby.

Reply to
Moby78

Is the inrerior trim falling to pieces? The mechanics are robust & fairly cheap to fix but in quite a lot of them the insides just seem to fall apart when you slam the door.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Both interior and exterior look mint for the year, but the guy has said there is one small niggly problem... at low speeds (i.e when parking etc) the steering does tend to go a little heavy. He said there are no leaks and all levels appear fine. Any ideas whether this could be the beginnings of a major problem?

TIA!

Reply to
Moby78

If it's accompanied by a squealing noise it could just be the ps belt slipping.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

cheers for that chris, I assume its a moderately priced job at a decent mechanics?

Reply to
Moby78

COuld be the belt slipping , which is cheap, could be the pump being worn, couple of hundred, could be the rack, could be low on fluid. Assumiong the tyres are at the right pressure.

Reply to
Duncanwood