2004 Forester XS 5 spd. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I AM DISSAPOINTED SUBARU!!!

I've had my 2004 Forester for 4 years now. 87,000km. I've driven Subarus since 1986. Here's my experiences with the Forester to date:

-Mileage - steady at 8.8litres/100km (32mpg imperial)

-Drivers Seat bolster showing cracking from 2 years on, getting worse

-Doors seem surprisingly thin and subject to dings

- The climate control system is awful, difficult to get even temperature in cabin. Worst I've ever had to use.

-Beginning to develop stiff downshift into 1st (Synchro going?)

-OEM Geolandar tires are terrible.

-Wind noise coming from front window gusssets

-Front windscreen - On my third already and its got cracks too, is it the position of it or poor body stiffness that makes it prone to cracking? Driven my other cars in same conditions with no such problems.

-Even the front Subaru emblem is showing water intrusion between the layers...

I AM DISSAPOINTED SUBARU!!!

On the whole, I would *maybe* buy this vehicle again. BUT I would surely look at the competition more closely. This 2004 HAS NOT performed up to what I have come to expect of a Subaru. It is showing wear and tear in excess of its actual use. The light coloured fabric door handle upholstery is a really bad choice Subaru, as is the material used in the seat bolsters (vinyl bolsters on XS model). Fit and finish is not to the level I have come to expect from Subaru.

This will probably be the first Subaru I don't keep. I still have my 1990 Legacy which is running well at 19 years on the road. Thats what I expect from Subaru. The 1986 GL I bought new (my first new car) is still on the road although I gave it to my son.

I AM DISSAPOINTED SUBARU!!!

Reply to
Grolsch

I AM DISAPPOINTED WITH YOUR SPELLING! ;-)

I'm not sure 'Subaru' reads this forum. Thanks for visiting, though!

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58