Puggy 206 speeds up

I have a 5 year old Puggy 206. If I start it up from cold it does so normally. If I then drive to the local shop, turn off the ignition and start it again after 3 minutes or so while I get my newspaper on the way to the daily grind it starts but gives a quick rev up to about 1500 then drops back to 700 revs as normal. It only takes a second to do this. Nothing is jamming and my feet are nowhere near the accelerator while it does this. Is it normal? The car has been well looked after and is low mileage.

Reply to
Dick

Dick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Could be that the fuel injectors are wearing and leaking a bit - my Saab did this. I had the injectors reconditioned by

- about £50, and about four day turn-around, including post - and the difference was remarkable. Not only did the leaking (three of the four) get fixed, solving that symptom, but the car was smoother, pulled better on low throttle openings, was smoother, and more economical.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, probably perfectly normal. The ECU is probably programmed to run briefly at a faster than normal tick over speed, when the engine is first started.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes that I can understand if it just did it from cold but it only does it from semi warmed up.

Reply to
Dick

Dick formulated on Monday :

From cold it will run a little faster for very much longer. When hot it just runs faster for a short while (several seconds) until things stabilise - perfectly normal behaviour.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. And, if Dick's symptoms are anything like mine (and they certainly sound it) this isn't that.

They really do sound identical to the symptoms I was getting from drippy injectors.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote on 29/03/2010 :

The way to be sure....

Is the fast speed very steady, then it quite suddenly drops and resettles to the normal tick over speed?

If the fast speed is fairly unsteady, then not normal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The speed increase is just a blip lasting a second.

Reply to
Dick

Dick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

But if the car's left parked - with engine hot - for more than about 15 minutes, it doesn't do it?

Reply to
Adrian

Normal, dont worry.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

If the engine is warm rather than hot it does it. Once it's hot it doesn't do it at all.

Reply to
Dick