pulling to one side

Is there a way to tweak/adjust the tracking if the car tends to steer to one side ? I once took it to a fastfit place and they said it was ok. I had my track rod off the other day to replace a steering gator, it easy to adjust though. I seem to remember that the car has always pulled slightly to the left, and the inside edge of the left tire always wears down. Should I go back to the fast fit place ?

Simon

Reply to
SimonP

The message from snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk (SimonP) contains these words:

Tracking generally doesn't cause cars to pull one way or the other. If you think about it, if the wheels are pointing in slightly, to maintain a straight line you will naturally hold the wheel in such a way that each wheel points in by the same amount. Likewise if they're pointing outwards. Now, this isn't the whole story as there are many other factors affecting which way a car points, but in general tracking isn't one of them.

Other alignment of the suspension, perhaps caused by worn bushes or kerbing it are more likely to be the cause if it's anything to do with the suspension, but my favourite place to look for causes of pulling are the tyres. Check for even pressures and make sure that you've a matched pair particularly on the front.

Reply to
Guy King

Tracking being out doesn't cause the car to pull to one side. You've got something worn or damaged in the suspension.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or the wheels may need balancing

Reply to
. BaldyBastard .

Why would out of balance wheels cause the car to pull to one side?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Graviton particles winging round the roll centre?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The car lists towards the heavier wheel?

Peter Hill

thanks i'll pump the tyres up and stop thinking about the tracking !

Reply to
SimonP