Punto goes putter putter putter putter...

God damn bloody Punto! It can't go two weeks without giving me grief.

It's no longer got an even idle. It kind of stutters or putters or something. This continues up to 1200 rpm when at rest, probably getting more emphasised. Driving is fine, no performance issues and mpg seems OK.

A bit of history. I mentioned a month back that it was burning oil at a rate of 1l per 500 miles (approx). It was eventually suggested that a valve stem seal had probably gone on cylinder 4. The plan was to keep the car for another few months and save up for a new one. But this idle issue is probably going to wipe hundreds off a part-ex value.

Think the issue is related to the valve stem seals/oil leak or could it be something simpler and cheaper to fix in the short term?

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

You did know that FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow ? (and that came from the mechanics at the local FIAT garage!)

Reply to
asahartz

A lesson I'm learning the expensive way. To be fair, the car has 90k on the clock, which might be nothing for a well build and strong BMW but is probably at the limit of reliable driving for a vastly cheaper shopping trolley.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

You could get the same issues with any car - longevity is much more dependent on how well previous owners looked after the car than it is on the badge on the grille.

Reply to
SteveH

Not from my experience of the cheapest Ford in the range. It may be a Fiat thing.

Reply to
DervMan

Reply to
Alhambra

Right until this point you were doing okay.

That's racist, incorrect and downright rude.

Reply to
DervMan

My Fiat Brava just took me to Sweden and back from Scotland and ran like a Swiss watch. I've heard so much about Fiat's being crap. They're not all s**te.

Reply to
gazzafield

I would have to disagree there. NCAP 5* doesn't indicate flimsy and insubstantial.

Reply to
Matt

Well I've just been towed home by a nice guy at the RAC. It was previously just burning oil with no performance loss, but has now developed this stuttering. The car started to overheat in traffic so I pulled in. A few revs of the engine and plenty of white smoke out of the back. Another Punto head gasket bites the dust then. £295+vat from a local garage which includes parts (inc timing belt), labour and a head skim.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Maybe, I got the car with 40k on the clock. Oil change every 6-10k since then (a bit overkill I know, but I'm just following Mr Haynes advice). It overheated a couple of times about 20k ago, looks like the thermostat had gone. I guess this has probably left of long term issue that has developed.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I've heard that an engine is never the same after the head has come off. Is this true and should I just flog the car after I've got it fixed up?

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I've run 3 Fiats in the last decade. Only one was 'shitty' - that was my

1979 Spider. Rust was the biggest problem - mechanically it was excellent.

No more so than many, many other brands.

Blown head gaskets also affect lots of other makers, too. Most of it is due to poor maintenance and mis-diagnosis.

I had a HG fail diagnosed on my Cinq. Sporting - it wasn't - it was the waterpump that had failed. However, this was partially my fault as I'd been a tightwad and not replaced it when I did the cambelt.

Since the mid-90s Fiat and Alfa have made cars that are demonstrably more rust resistant than just about every other mainstream manufacturer.

No build quality issues with our Fiats or Alfas. The worst thing that went wrong with my Marea was that the cassette flap broke. And that was German made....

Bollocks.

Reply to
SteveH

Most aren't. You do need to properly maintain them, though.

Fortunately, for the clued-up used buyer, most people have this outdated opinion of Fiats, meaning they are superb value on the used market.

Where else can you get a 2lt family saloon at well under 8 years old with a screaming 155bhp 5-pot engine for £800?

Reply to
SteveH

You'll probably find that the issues are caused by mass-produced Bosch ignition parts.....

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Fortunately, few other people have been daft enough to try to shoehorn a straight five transversely into a mid-size car.

"To change cambelt, first remove inner wing with angle grinder"

Reply to
Adrian

Well, there you go.

If there's a HG issue, it's due to a failed thermostat and overheating.

Hardly a design failure if the driver allows the vehicle to overheat, is it?

And before anyone makes comment about the thermostat - it'll be a mass-produced part also used by other makers.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, yes, that's a downside.

However, you can get the job done by an independent for 400 quid these days. Which isn't so far removed from a 4-pot belt change that it could be considered unreasonable.

The transverse 5-pot is a much under-used layout ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, no, no. The transverse engine is a much over-used one.

Reply to
Adrian

When done properly it's fine. Lots of headgaskets go due to other issues that are not found and addressed. Although I have heard that some Punto's have a plastic thermostat housing that can cause heat discrepancies at that part of the head. It's possible. Still, £346.62 and a half pence (to be precise) sounds reasonable (not dirt cheap) for a head gasket change with a new belt and head skimming.

Reply to
gazzafield