Full size spare tyre - 50mph limit?

Our Mk2 Focus has alloy wheels (as standard) with (I think) 205/55 R16 tyres. The car (as standard) comes with a space saver tyre, however the original purchaser opted for the normal sized (steel-wheel) spare which has the same size tyre as on other wheels. I thought it was good to have a full size spare as it would mean we could keep going at normal speeds etc if we had to fit it - not stuck at 50mph on the motorway with everyone being surprised at you being so slow.

However, the spare wheel has a round yellow sticker on it saying 80kph (50mph) max - which is the same as for a space saver. In the manual it states that if any of the wheels are different, then you must keep to

50mph max, use wheel for as short a period of time as possible etc. I can only assume that it includes the rim type as well as the tyre sizes.

It also later states that you should use the correct nuts for the type of wheel - but adds that alloy wheel nuts can be used on steel wheels for up to 2 weeks (doesn't sound that short a period really).

So, can anyone give me some advice as to what the purpose of a full-size spare is, if the manufacturer of the car then says (and puts a sticker on it) that you cannot go faster that 50mph? Why might this be? Seems we'd be better off with a space saver if that's the case?

Finally - would any of you, using a full size steel wheel spare on a car with alloy wheels, actually stick to the 50mph limit? Just curious.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

If you put it on the front you can sometimes feel the difference in weight when accelerating. But that's like worrying about having two different brands, not driving like a nutter will solve it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The reason is that the steel wheel is a cost saving for the manufacturer. If the tyre is the right spec. / pressure and the wheel is the right offset and bolted on properly then there is no real reason to stick below 50, I wouldn't.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

David Hearn (David Hearn ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Is the tyre the same rating etc as well?

Eww. If they're the wrong nuts, then they're the wrong nuts. End of.

Ever driven a car with a space saver skinny on? Horrible, horrible, horrible.

If the tyre IS the same, no. I'd treat it as the same.

Reply to
Adrian

Foul. I had a nice trip from work in evening rush hour up the M5 with one on my Ibiza. Fortunately I got a new tyre that evening.

Fabia vRSs come with a full size steel spare and 4 alloys, and the spare has a sticker as you describe.

I've been told it's because sometimes the tyres fitted at the factory are directional, so if you have the spare on the 'wrong' side, it could be a problem.

Mine had 5 identical Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres fitted, which are asymetrical but not directional. I've not used the spare wheel, but if I did, I'd drive pretty much as normal, unless someone can give me a good reason not to.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

They have turned modern cars into overweight, over tall, over wide underperforming crap in name of safety but then allow a POS to be slung in the boot. Used to be you got supplied a full set of 5 alloys.

Reply to
Peter Hill