Quick release connectors

Hi,

Got hold of an air compressor and various bits :) Problem is that the quick release fittings that came with it (they are the BE-23 type on this page:

are fine when you screw them onto tools / hoses (with PFTE tape) but the joins between the adapters and the quick release connectors leak a lot when fully connected and wiggled sideways (sometimes just like opening a tyre valve to the air). This caused the 2HP compressor to only just keep up with demand as I walked round my cars pumping the tyres up. I mentioned this to the guy who sold it to me and he's sent me some more but guess what? Same problem :) Is it something I'm doing wrong, normal or just a design fault?

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

change them to the pcl airflow ones at the top of the page, they are less troublesome and are very widely used

Reply to
Mrcheerful

we use pcl airflow ones in our workshop, if any air tool comes through with anything else fitted we change them, as Mr C says the pcl airflow ones are less troublesome.

Reply to
reg

Are you sure they're both be23s?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The problem I've found with PCL couplings, is that they unplug too easily if an extension hose is used and it's dropped or snagged. Std ones only need a longitudinal push to release. I prefer std Schrader couplings. IME Their twist to release design is less likely to come apart accidently. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've got these for my spray guns - they flow air more easily than the more common "airflow" kind as suggested by other posters. I bought PCL connectors and had no leaking problems. I've also used PCL "airflow" connectors for rattle guns and the like and had no leaks. No wiggles either. IIRC you either just bosh the connector in or pull the collar back and bosh it in - I'd guess that you're not pushing them all the way home.

Reply to
Doki

Yup, also doubly sure that they're compatible as they came > I've got these for my spray guns - they flow air more easily than the

OK... I'm sure I'm connecting them properly, extra force pushing them together has no effect and they don't pull apart without pushing the collar back first.

I reckon I'll try the PCL type as people have suggested.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

I've just realised that the type I've been using is a slightly different thing to the one you've got. The pear shaped connectors are readily available and cheap. The high flow ones aren't that neccesary unless you're trying to spray with a marginal compressor.

Reply to
Doki

You get a noticeable drop in torque with an impact wrench if the pressure falls too far. Which doesn't take a very long bit of 1/4" hose and connectors.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes, I read that before hand so although the connectors are 1/4", I got 3/8" hose. The leaking from the connector was sometimes so bad that sometimes the wrench didn't turn, it just hissed! PITA....

Reply to
Peter Spikings

5 horsepower compressor ;). OTOH waiting a few seconds for a small compressor to catch up while you're rattle gunning is midly irritating. Having it run out of air while you're spraying something is on a par with being stuck in a lift with Dervman and SteveH.
Reply to
Doki

:-). But the hp doesn't help with the pressure drop down the hose, the 5 can just about keep up with my big air stapler but it only limits how often I can fire it (tbh, I wouldn't mind if it did limit it) but doesn't affect it's functionality, the impact wrench has noticeably more torque down 30' of 3/8" hose versus 1/4".

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Forgot all about the hose diameter. Aye, 10mm hose all round for spraying.

Reply to
Doki