Rack & Pinions

When Rack & Pinions are rebuilt, what is usually replaced? Just seals? I am curious if anyone here has any experience in repairing/rebuilding racks and what is involved.

Thanks

Reply to
bgreer5050

If it's a full factory rebuild, I would expect that only the casing would be re-used. All other parts are perishable.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

you get wear in the rack and the pinion drive this is not good and there is no way really to fix it without spending lots more money than replacement parts

Reply to
dojj

Don't get me started. ;-)

It's likely by the time they start leaking the inner pivots to the track rods are worn - and these are *very* expensive to replace, even if they are available. So many just bodge them to 'remove' the play.

Check any replacement rack to make sure these move freely in all directions without play. The rest of it is easy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)