Odyssey roof rack thoughts revisited

If I can visit this again - last week's post has been unfruitful. Are there any posters here that have experience with non-OEM racks on their Odysseys? I have a 1999 Odyssey and I want to put a roof rack on it. I have no rack. Thanks for links to prior posts, but I couldn't find anyone who's purchased a complete aftermarket rack and wrote to tell of the experience. This rackless van has what appears to be two thin aluminum or possibly plastic pieces in two gutters running from windshield to hatch. Does anyone know how to remove these? Or, is there a base underneath that I can just drive sheetmetal screws directly into? At this point I'm looking into a Thule track system, where'd I'd attach a permanent track where these ersatz gutters now lie and have sliding removable "landing pads" which would attach to towers and cross bars. Thanks for links to prior posts, but I couldn't find anyone who's purchased and installed an aftermarket rack. Any advice?

Reply to
CrouchingLamb

--------------------------------------

OK, I've owned three Gen 1 Odysseys, and I have two Gen 1 CR-Vs now. If you pop off the channels (don't do it, you might deform them) you will find a few short screw threads that point toward heaven, tack-welded into the gutter.

are strong enough to anchor a HONDA OEM roof rack. They are NO WAYstrong enough to anchor a roof rack that has anything awkward tied toit, especially something LONG, like a canoe / kayak. When you go over aBUMP, the upward torque will break / strip the screw threads andeverything will 'dismount' onto the windshield of the car tailgatingbehind you. :-(

As I said before, I have a Thule 2100 rooftop box on my CR-V (same basic gutter / setup as an Ody) and I bought a roof rack from Canadian Tire (made by sportrack.com) that sits on the roof and clutches onto the door openings, to keep everything in place. The weight isn't as important as the lifting forces when you're talking about a LONG load.

These links aren't very helpful, but

I looked at Yakima, Thule, etc, but they were just too expensive once I added up all the 'bits'. It would be OK if I was also a sports enthusiast and could make use of all the functionality that you will.

I'll send you a picture directly.

'Curly

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Why reinvent the wheel? I been around lots of cars with racks and there's not much too them. I went to yakima and thule and saw racks specific for 99 odyssey. I want my one minute back.

Reply to
MAT