Re: Are brass nuts strong enough for a exhaust manifold - Tablot Express(84)2 ltre.

snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net (Chris Wilkins) mumbled:

Q1. Are brass nuts strong enough and suitable for an OLDER engine? How > do they compare to steel grades?

I've used 'em for years and have found a few things....

Firstly, yes, they do get drawn into the holes if you're not careful...use a washer!

Secondly, yes, they can strip if you're not careful, but then manifold nuts aren't usually done up to a torque sufficient to do this. eg. A-series 16 ftlbs, Ford HCS engine 18 ftlbs, Perkins Prima diesel 18 ftlbs. If you're desperate, you can always double nut it...which handily also acts as a locknut.

The great thing...and the reason I try to use 'em is that they don't rust on. They may get a bit stiff with age...and squeak a lot as you undo them...but a squirt of graphite penetrator will solve that.

Reply to
Guy King

That's 'cos they're 'self lubricating' innit?

I remember seeing a publicity video for brass - many years ago.....

'Design in Brass'

'For self-lubricating properties'

'Design in brass'

etc.

For some reason, I found 'self lubricating' to be funny as f*ck back then.

Thinking about it, it still is ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

gasket

(even

found

'drawn'

to be

engine? How

At one time, probably going back, 40 plus years, brass manifold nuts on engines was quite common.

Yes, but to be as strong they need to be longer. The ones that were fitted as std, were about 1.5 times as long as the same size std steel nut. Sounds like the ones you have are std length brass nuts which, as you've found out, are not strong enough.

Not AFAIK. Brass can be made with different specifications, but std brass nuts are probably just made from common commercial grade hex bar.

Should it

I don't know what was std with that particular engine, but IMO it would be better to fit washers.

types of

they

I imagine you'd find the tensile strengths etc, of different materials reasonably easy. Some steel stockholders might include that information. Other that that, I don't know of any. Finding that same info specifically for nuts, might be even more difficult. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"David" mumbled:

Few exhaust manifolds suffer from long term dampness!

Reply to
Guy King