Re: Car jacks

"davkit" mumbled:

Is there a market for electronic/automatic bottle jacks for portable use?

How "electronic"? Electric, just possibly if you had more money than sense and so on, but electronic?

Reply to
Guy King

portable use?

If there is, I can't see many selling. Punctures are not that common these days. I can't remember the last time I had one.

in the boot.

it is the

Simplest, and more to the point IMO. The cheapest. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Built in digital clock? Wifi?

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff mumbled:

Teasmaid and don't forget....sessile phone to ring the breakdown people to come change it for you.

Reply to
Guy King

I wouldn't be interested. I want something that I know I can leave in a damp boot for a few years then take it out knowing it will work.

Reply to
DP

"David Linley" mumbled:

Not many people made 'em even when they were like road-fleas.

Reply to
Guy King

"davkit" mumbled:

Thing is...if someone's not up to jacking a car up then they're probably not up to getting the spare out or the nuts off and so on. You might solve one problem but that'd just move the stoppage down the line a bit.

Reply to
Guy King

KwikFit are bloody expensive full stop - just check out the big advertising budget and the fact that matey-boy got knighted bla,bla. I reckon on paying

1/2 KwikFit price and getting much better service by finding a decent independant ( MK Tyres Leighton Buzzard - now they do deserve knighthoods :-) Even copperslipped up my wheels to stop future seizure - hope you're listening Mr. BMW main dealer ( who is supposed to do this as part of the exhorbitantly priced service.... )

Mr. Angry

Reply to
sro

Stay with the lever.

Reply to
Conor

I wasn't aware that rubber was effected by being in a damp boot for years....

Andy

Reply to
Denley

But why would you want a rubber jack?

Reply to
David Linley

"David Linley" mumbled:

Isn't that Jack's business?

Reply to
Guy King

Draper for about

exhaust pipe

seconds.

use in anger.

I also have one. Very useful when your car is stolen and left in the middle of a field without it's nice set of alloy wheels, as my son found out. It easily lifted his car without damage so he could fit the original steel wheels, and get the car home. Would have been very difficult with a conventional jack. Mike

Reply to
Mike G

My car's suffered from both wheel wobble and loose wheel nuts due to an excess of copper grease before now...

Reply to
Scott M

exhorbitantly

due to an

Obviously they were not done up tight enough. An excess of copper grease would not cause them to come loose. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It was caked on the threads and had gone nasty (seems to turn to crusty nastiness when it gets hot) throwing the torque wrench reading when they were done up (ie, yes they weren't tight enough but through a fault of having this crap on them.)

Reply to
Scott M

The main idea of the copper grease is to stop the wheel sticking on its shoulder, and to prevent corrosion where it touches the hub or disc. However, I've also greased the threads all my life and never had a wheel come loose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If you grease a thread and use a torque wrench the clamping force is higher than on a dry one. With critical applications this can make a difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

These had been greased to excess and the stuff had turned to a crumbly solid - it stopped the threads mating at all neatly.

Reply to
Scott M

Well, surely this would be like rust or anything else and should have been cleaned off before replacing the wheel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman