Re-connect Cavalier tailgate strut?

I have just bought a (very cheap) 2L Cav auto hatch. (Bliss!)

The drivers side upper tailgate mounting has been removed. It appears to screw into the tailgate, being fixed by, perhaps, a captive nut but there is no nut in place now. The previous owner says he tried to re-fix it by removing some of the trim to gain enough access to hold a nut in place to screw the mount into but says there wasn't enough space. Haynes doesn't refer to removing the mounting (can't imagine why you'd want to remove it).

I'd be most grateful for any advice on how to get this mounting back in.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Piekos

you can't get behind the panel easily .just carry apiece of woood to hold it up.

Reply to
Dave