Re: Ever thought about a second hand Tesla?

[snip]

Our rural village is having a new main sewer installed. It would be so easy to install a duct for a fibre cable at the same time so we could all have "super-fast" internet insted of the 1 Mbits/sec that most of us get at present.

But there's no joined-up thinking about this sort of infrastructure!

And the sewer installation has necessitated digging a deep trench all along the road. It beats me why there isn't a tunnelling machine for this sort of work!

Reply to
Graham J

Nope. Phone batteries get:

- more heavy charge/discharge cycles. Many people run their phone batteries near flat (because you wouldn't get a day out of them otherwise), while Tesla owners often plug in cars that are half or more charged (most people don't do 300 miles every day).

- kept warm. They're often in pockets at 30C+ all day. They're also right next to chips that get hot in use.

- no thermal management. There's no fan or liquid cooling in a phone. When they charge or discharge they get hot, and there's nowhere for that heat to go

- no per-battery telemetry. At least for phones with removable batteries, the phone has no idea what the history of the battery is (I think many removable phone batteries don't have more than an analogue protection chip inside).

- less scope for not revealing the actual SoC. eg in a Prius the battery is shown as empty at 40% SoC and full at 70% SoC - this is because NiMH will tolerate a lot more cycles in that region. A phone that did that would be basically useless, but an EV can try and maintain that, going into deep discharge more rarely. (In effect this is a bit like an 'fuel tank empty' light that encourages you to fill up when you have half a tank of petrol left).

Tesla batteries on the other hand have liquid cooling so they can keep the battery temperature under control; battery temperature is the most critical parameter in cell lifetime. OTOH the thermal management is what makes supercharging feasible, which is a much higher charge rate than phones.

In a PHEV you can keep the battery even happier, because you can always start the engine if the management system feels charge is getting a bit low. So you can get even more cycles out of the battery.

Of course. However, management systems make a big difference. And that is a differentiating factor between vendors.

Moral of the story: don't buy a used Nissan Leaf. No thermal management means battery lifetimes are a lot worse than a Tesla.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Why? Charging points are appearing round here. For charging cars parked in the street.

I'd guess there are far more cars parked overnight on the street than in driveways or garages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thing is, there's nothing more annoying than having a car that's only useful most of the time.

Reply to
Steve H

I could certainly use an electric car for my commute to work, it would almost be ideal. But what about getting to other work related events: Training, meetings, conferences; anything which underpin my job in the long run. The truth is that most people now with electric cars have a second car as well.

Reply to
johannes

An absolute fortune awaits he who makes the next really significant advance in battery technology.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Whoever discovers a catalyst which makes on-site hydrolysis an energy efficient process will rule the world! For all its faults, hydrogen is a much better way to store energy than half a tonne of rare earth metal batteries!

Reply to
Steve H

probably to do with profit of fuel barons.

Reply to
critcher

I can't see that happening around here (Sheffield) - even if I knew what it was or how they do it. Google isn't throwing up much - is it this sort of thing:

and

The government reckons a charge point could well be in the £200-500 (max £7,500) range - so funding for at most 3000 points, 8 per LA area. Each year, one per four thousand homes :-)

Yep, and the 10% or so in flats with allocated parking.

Reply to
RJH