Re: Left hand threads on near side wheel studs?

Yes. Not surprising if you speak to people as you do on here. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've seen a wheel come off twice, both front right hand ones, both on a motorway heading to Leicester. One was on the M69 and the other was on the M1 northbound. From my sampling they come off if you are heading towards Leicester :-)

They travel for miles unless stopped, I passed the M18 wheel about 3 miles after passing the car on the hard shoulder and the wheel was still doing about 20 mph. The M1 one was scary, it came bouncing towards me, although it was possibly me catching up with it, but it was bouncing. Luckily after the last bounce I could move left otherwise it would have come through my windscreen. In this case the car with a missing wheel was on the hard shoulder about a mile further on.

Reply to
rp

Yes - I've seen it too. Terrifying. Hence my checking my own wheel nuts after any work has been carried out on my car. Which is very rare - I do most of it myself. When having new tyres I try to watch the wheels being re-fitted. But check them anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

10 or 15 years ago a friend took his VW Passat to a tuning emporium whose name I won't mention to have some engine mods carried out and the clutch swapped for an uprated unit. On the way back down the M4 a steering vibration was getting worse and worse until he finally pulled over on the hard shoulder to have a look. They'd forgotten to tighten the nearside front wheel nuts after refitting the gearbox - just put them back finger tight and then presumably someone got distracted and never checked further. By the time he stopped there was only one left and that was half way down its thread. He got home by pinching one nut from each of the other three wheels but had probably only been seconds away from a fairly nasty accident.

It also eventually became apparent when the car wouldn't start from cold they'd trapped part of the wiring loom between the engine and box which had destroyed the cold start part of the ecu fueling system and possibly other bits. The engine never did run right again despite a variety of attempted repairs.

Reply to
Dave Baker