Re: OT: 2003 Astra DTI radiator temperature fan switch location

Where is the bloody thing?

> >Haynes book of lies is too vague and I can't seem to google up any >meaningful photo or video. > >I think it is intermittent open circuit as the fan ran the battery down >last night and battery was on its last legs when I went out the house >this morning and wondered what the whirring sound was from the car. > >I know the controlling ECU unit does play up as well but fan switch >seems to be the preferred choice to deal with first. > >TIA

x-posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

it is powered by a relay and fed from the engine coolant temp sensor (rh end of engine as you look under the bonnet), so there is probably not a switch in the radiator as in days of old, my money would be on the relay being stuck.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Haynes Book of Lies said LHS.... So that is the "bump" on the end of the cylinder head with something screwed in to it?

Would that relay be in the box of tricks that was mentioned as being behind the passenger side bumper \ wing? Did some more googling and something came up about some companies do refurb units if this is the relay unit in question.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

Things in books always quote looking from the driver's seat, many people don't understand this.

No idea as to the box of tricks, but generally the power relay would be a separate, changeable part.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No air con = basic temp switch & relay, fires up the fan when it gets hot.

With air con = overly complicated array of sensors and controller inside the passenger wing that often plays up. Get it on tech2 to diagnose.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Had it running again and no sign of any fan misbehaving. Took it for another drive this evening and the alternator light comes on and the power steering dies....

It is an air-con model (but I gave up getting it gassed up a while back)

Even if I rig it up to a Tech2 I've not got the time to sort it out and do it myself....

Just wish they could make the electrics as bloody reliable as the mechanical bits. The only hassles I've had with the car were\are electrical beyond normal mechanical wear and tear.

I think I've seen something about the control unit can be refurbed \ cleaned up with a web address but can't remember where I saw it.

Must get bikes back on road....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

the alternator has a direct line to the power steering module .

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Got a new battery and alternator today. No sign of fan issue but the location of that control module under front bumper is bloody stupid given it rains in this country.

It was likely submerged in the Hull flood I had to drive through but that was years ago. Auto elec also said the missing under-engine pan doesn't improve things as it opens up the alternator to more road spray.

Visit breakers tomorrow for one of them....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

+1.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Sorted. It was the temp sensor in the head. They fail to safe i.e. run fans and flatten battery (which is another bit of weird logic)rather than don't run fans and overheat engine.... but given the location of all the engine modules (wettest place, hottest place) that logic doesn't surprise me ; - {

No fault codes showed up on cooling module(sfx pheewwww...) or other modules.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hello,

I know this is an old post, but do you Fix the problem ?

Thank you

Reply to
belghiti.brahim69