Rear wheel bearing end float.

There are no shims shown or mentioned in the BL manual. Since it is clamped in place, I'm not sure why you'd need any?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So it must be moving in and out, most likely in the axle tube.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

To cover for manufacturing tolerances. Whether any are there originally is immaterial, if shims are neded to keep the bearing from back and forth movement then they need to be added. It would be simple to pull the half shaft, put a shim in and see if the movement diminishes, if it doesn't then you know the bearing is faulty or loose on the shaft (unlikely ime) which you will be able to see while the shaft is out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Pull it apart and the problem should show itself.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

He means the inner race of the bearing and the outer race of the bearing with the balls in between (yes, I know they come as a built up unit)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Supposed to be but is YOUR bearing outer a tight fit in the housing right now?

Is the shoulder still there?

Is the clamping plate "dished"?

Reply to
Peter Hill