Rebuild kits for a Vauxhall engine

I've been given a very smokey C16XE to see if there's anything that can be done for it. After seeing how it runs, I'm pretty sure both the rings are away and the valve stem oil seals.

I've suggested a full rebuild...does anyone know of a good site that can provide the rings, head rebuild kit and a tool to hone the bore?

TIA.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

================================ Glaze breaker:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If the cylinder bores are that worn, the engine will likely need a full rebore, along with pistons. New rings alone, would only be a temporary cure, if they made any difference at all.

Easier and cheaper option would be an engine out a scrapped car.

Reply to
M Cuthill

"M Cuthill" wrote in news:45670fac$0$21086$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

Can you get oversize rings for cars? Used to for the old brit bikes I ran.

Reply to
Tunku

I vaguely remember aftermarket piston rings which boasted special features which supposedly made them more suitable for worn bores/pistons but I think that related to more to oil control than being oversize. That was in the days of the ford pre-crossflow ohv engines as found in the Anglias and early Cortinas among others. At that time you could buy pistons/rings/bearing shells from motor factors but I doubt whether you could do that today because of the wide variety of engines used in cars. In this the day of cheap "throw away" second hand cars can is it really worth all the bother unless you do it as a hobby?

johntyers

The truth is due to better oils and materials engines usually last the life of the car - unless overcome by some disaster. Gone are the days of a couple of full overhauls before it was scrapped.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

================================ The special rings were probably 'Cords oil control rings' although they were a complete set - not just an oil scraper. They were usually good for

40 / 60 thousand miles.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

That would be a decent life for most engines in those days.

Oil control rings used to be fairly similar to the others - a one piece casting. The cord type multiple flexible rings were to become the factory fitting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)