Refurbing plastic wheel trim

My front wheel trim have the obligatory 'parking' scratches on them, and I was wondering if there were any handy hints for making them look decent again. They are plastic so I guess a bit of wet 'n dry and some silver paint might do the job, but I don't want to ruin them so....

Cheers

Reply to
Steve Evans

Depends on how much you value their shape I suppose - I can buy a full=20 set of generic cheapos for =A35 from Makro, so don`t particularly care=20 about trying to keep the old ones looking nice :-}

--=20 Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email

Colin Wilson

Depends on how much you value their shape I suppose - I can buy a full set of generic cheapos for £5 from Makro, so don`t particularly care about trying to keep the old ones looking nice :-}

Reply to
Colin Mckechnie

I didn't want to change to after market ones as past experience has been they can look awful and keep falling off unless you use cable ties. I cleaned my Citroen ones, rubbed them over with cellulose thinners, sprayed them with primer and then silver wheel paint.

They still look great after 15 months use.

Reply to
Doctor D

You`d be surprised ! - I said I virtually live on the net ;-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Sounds like just the job...cheers D!

Reply to
Steve Evans

My previous ones were from Makro, at =A34.99 + VAT. They were good for a while, but after a while they gradually got erroded by grit etc. I replaced them after about a year, and when I pulled them off two broke. My current ones are now genuine Fiat ones. They were about tripple the price, but seem to be more robust, and still look like new (it's been a few months. These ones won't snap because they are held on by the wheel nuts, not clip-in and pull off like the others. My original ones were suffed badly by the previous owner, but I haven't scuffed these... yet.

Personally I'd probably just replace the wheel trims. Painting them etc will take time, and some money.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk