Renault Clio '99 Spare Key?

Hi,

I've just bought a used '99 Clio to replace one that got written off. Unfortunately it only came with one key, so reckon it would be wise to get a spare.

I contacted the local Renault Dealer and they said it would be about £70 for a new key. Thing is, I have a spare key from the written-off Clio (same model & age) and was wondering if it was possible to program the ECU/remote locking to accept the old spare key - I'd then only need the metal bit which is about £13. The manual describes a process for programming the car to accept "jack keys" but not sure what this is. The Renault dealer says it can't be done but I am a bit skeptical.

Has anyone any experience of this and/or know whether it is possible to get the car to accept a new key 'blipper'?

Cheers, Ian.

Reply to
Ian

HI,

Been here, done this with my old 2000 Clio.

Take the car to Renault, tell them that your spare key (ie, the one from your written off car) needs programming to the new car and a new metal bit.

Absolutely no reason why they can't do this - took them about an hour for me.

HTH Oli

Reply to
Oli

But make sure you test it before you leave their site. Worcester Renault dealers tried 3 times to reprogramme my keys before they realised they were putting in the wrong code !!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Yes the car can be coded to accept the old key. Your dealer is telling porkies.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I knew it! Thanks for the advice.

Ian.

Reply to
Ian

Thanks!

Do I need to know the key's code? I have two key numbers from the old car's manual though obviously not sure which key is which.

Cheers, Ian.

Reply to
Ian

The same dealer who I mentioned in previous post told me that the Renualt database contains the code against chassis number, but he said it was very hard to get the info and thats supposed to be the main dealer . So I would be very sceptical when you go to yours and as I said query everything. Good Luck

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I took the car and key to R.Sport (a Renault dealer) in Wimbledon today. They were absolutely insistent that an old key could not be programmed to the new car. They've quote me over £150 for a new spare key. =:-o

Can you tell me where you got your key or car reprogrammed as I appear to be getting conflicting stories.

Cheers, Ian.

Reply to
Ian Kershaw

Just to follow up on this story, it would seem the keys for earlier Clio's (Mk2? around '99) are not "re-virginable". Later model (mk3?) keys after this time can be blanked and reprogrammed for a new car.

Seems nuts to me.... but there you have it.

Ian.

Reply to
Ian