renault laguna 2.2d cam belt fitting instructions

hello

i have a renault laguna, 2.2D with a broken cam belt. can anyone help me out with instructions for fitting a new one correctly.

I'd be most grateful

brian

Interference or not??? Or to put it another way: BANG!!! Or BUUuuuuurrrr.....

Reply to
Mr Fix It

it is too late to fit a new one, this engine breaks lots of bits when the belt goes. Professional help required plus a massive bank balance, or report it stolen and burn it out.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Fraid you'll have a broken engine too, see if you can locate a known good replacement whole engine, and replace the belt on that before installing in your car..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hello Tim, and co

Your are correct. 5 of the rockers have been smashed, but i have retrieved the bits, and have replacements. My mission at this point, knowing that all the damge has been caught, is to find out exactly what setting and positions i need to set the valves in so as to get the new belt on correctly.

i've tried to find this info all over the web, but can't. we've replaced cam belts on other cars, but had this information.

I'm not too keen on getting some garage to do this at great expense if i can get the settings that i need.

am i making sense on this?

mybe someone knows what the instructions are or where i can find them.

Thanks for your hasty replies.

Brian

Reply to
brian

Are you sure you've got all the damage, though? I'd've thought there's a pretty good chance of bent valves, scored valve guides and chipped pistons as well as the broken rockers.

Well, if Renault make their diesels anything like their petrols, it'll be a bit of a sod - I really don't fancy doing the cambelt on my Megane

16v petrol myself, as it looks a right performance - Renault don't appear to be big believers in Woodruff keys, so it all seems to rely upon tightness of the bolts to hold things together, and I wouldn't rate my chances of timing it up right upon re-assembly...

Is there a Haynes for your car? That'd probably be the best place to look for belt fitting information.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth

Have you tried a eBay search for

Renault TIS

Throws us a few main dealer TIS (Technical Information Store/Source) CD's which if they are as good as the Vauxhall one will tell you all you need!

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

In message , brian writes

I'd consider removing the head and have it refurbed professionally, we did this the cheap way only to have a valve seat break up a few thousand miles later. That cost a new engine, all 3500 of it.

Can't help with the settings, but I can pass on our experiences, yours may be completely different.

Hopefully not too hasty, hopefully, I'm wrong.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

The Renault one is called "Dialogys" for some reason. It can be had from a file sharing program probably no less legally than eBay, although the version I downloaded required Java 1.2 runtime, and I wanted to keep 1.4. If anyone runs up against this problem with Dialogys, Java programs can be given their own individual runtime environments by putting them in the same directory, and specifically invoking the java executable in the runtime environment you want. Actually I forget what I did, and it probably means my Dialogys is out of date anyway.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Kelleher

:-D

I'm going to be laughing at that all day now...!

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth

At first I thought it might be French for something, but Babelfish can't find it. An anagram, perhaps? How do you pronounce it, anyway?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Kelleher

thanks guys most helpful.