Renault Scenic engine trouble.

I have a 97 1.6 petrol Renault Scenic with a peculiar engine problem.

It has run for 107k trouble free miles until recently when it has developed a fault 20 mins after started. When cold, it starts and runs fine, and then rather suddenly (no massive jolt or anything) it runs very rough, loses power, and is incapable of keeping an idling speed high enough to prevent it stalling. Once the fault has happened the car has to go completely cold again before it will start again.

Plugs were replaced less than 10k miles ago. Air filter is clean, and we replaced the fuel filter thinking that might be the problem. It didn't fix it.

I have a partner who is very capable of repairing my car once the fault is diagnosed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem?

If not, then I guess I will just have to take it to a garage :-(

Reply to
marzipan

Renaults of this age often have failed coolant temp sensors which will give you repeatable symptoms exactly like this. If you hook up a DVM to the CTS and monitor it as the engine warms up from cold you'll probably see the smooth transition suddenly jump to a wildly different reading.

FYI- 20 deg C - ~4v, 100 deg C - ~0.7v.

Main cause is lack of regular coolant changes- which corrodes the end of the sensor which then fills with water.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The message from "marzipan" contains these words:

If it was any other time of year I'd suggest checking the hot air trunking from the exhaust shield to the air filter is still there, but I can't believe it's icing up in this weather.

Reply to
Guy King

Ive just had this problem with my scenic, turned out that one of the spark plugs had somehow got damp and was rusty. How or why that caused the fault is beyond me but the garage had it in all day, finally took out the spark plugs which they had replaced only two months prior and noticed one was rusty where the porcelain meets the metal. Might be worth a look at that. Can anyone help with my rear washer problem now in another thread? Pete

Reply to
PeteZahut

Thanks to all for your suggestions, we will look into those, especially the spark plug issue.

Re the failed temp sensor suggestion, we were wondering about that. The engine is extremely hot, yet the temp guage shows normal, and the fan doesn't appear to kick in.

Certainly gives us a few more places to look Marzipan

Reply to
marzipan