Renault19 carbon in air filter

As header, a friend brought a Renault 19 , J reg 1992 one hundred thousand on the clock, to me to check out - he had just bought it. The engine oil was filthy, black sludge when drained I it. Ok, no surprise there, flushed it out 2 or three times. BUT what I noticed when I changed the air filter - cylinder type - was that there was a carbon deposit on the *inside* of the filter cylinder. Seems to me something isn't right. Anyone know what this indicates? TIA for any feedback.

Reply to
Paddy

Its done 100,000 miles without a service?. Its has been run without an airfilter at some point in its life?.

You will get a bit of crap in there if all thats ever been done is the airfilter has been changed and the housing left uncleaned. Also, where do the engine vent hose go?, it may just be crud from that.

If it starts and runs OK, I'd lose three-fifths of sod all sleep over it.

HTH

Reply to
Sean