Replace Car Sat Nav with 10" Phablet

It might not in the backwaters of oz where there is one road but it does around here.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks, just ordered one to play with.

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home wrote

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage, particularly when google is allowed to use the mobile phone base info that allows it to see what the absolute vast bulk of the traffic is actually doing.

Nothing tomtom can do gets even within a bulls roar of that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

dennis@home wrote

It doesn?t in the capital citys which are just as info dense as yours.

BULLSHIT.

Reply to
Rod Speed

While that may be true in your backwaters google isn't allowed to track all the mobiles in the UK. Its traffic is pretty poor here.

Reply to
dennis

True of anywhere that isnt as stupid as you lot.

More fool you lot.

Because you lot are terminal fuckwits.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thanks to all.

Being retired we would use the phablet with its sim card for recreational use so would unlikelyy need real-time traffic flow info. We would be using this set-up only as an aid to our Paper Map reading. The inbuilt GPS from my pay-as-you go simcard would show our location on the downloaded maps in real time as we travel along. So this arrangement is not costing anything, and suits our needs. The other part of the original question was: if anyone would have experience of which are the best of the free Android Downloadable Map Apps, since there are so many to choose from. Thanks.

Reply to
john.west

My recommendation would be Here!, it's free and can be set to work off-line once the maps have been downloaded. You can select the areas of maps you want, e.g. just England or the whole of the UK and/or countries in Europe according to how much space you have available.

I use it on my Moto G phone (even mounted on my motorbike!) and on a cheap 7" tablet.

Remember to download the maps using WiFi unless you have unlimited data on your phone deal.

Reply to
Chris Green

The

I use Navmii with great success. There will be others along shortly slagging it off and recommending others. I don't so much like maps.me. Even the basic google maps has its supporters particularly now that you can download maps for offline use.

Don't be afraid to try several (of the ones that are reasonably rated on the play store) and then use what works best for you.

Reply to
Chris B

+1 for Here! I have it on my phone for emergencies when I don't have my sat- nav.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I prefer the google map app myself, mainly for the street view which can be handy when deciding which place to visit when doing recreational stuff, and for the way they accept corrections to the maps if you care to tell them about map errors. Works fine offline too now although I don?t bother myself, it doesn?t use that much data in online mode and that give you the latest data all the time.

Reply to
Sam Jackson

I was impressed by Google Maps ability to reroute without data on Malta.

Reply to
Peter Hill

From following this thread and having got a low cost Android smartphone I've just received the 3 Sim.

The one thing I'd really like from an Android Satnav app is to be able to install a custom POI file as I do with my old Garmin.

Any tips as to what works well? Here! doesn't seem to support POIs. The procedure for Navmii seems convoluted.

Reply to
AnthonyL

? I use it on an iphone, and bookmark my own POI.

Reply to
RJH

I don't do much intercity driving these days but at price, I'd get one. Which model please? TIA.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

A quick look seems as if this should do nicely thanks. My POI has about 40,000 entries across the UK and I've checked that I can download it as a csv or gpx.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Thought you meant a couple of pubs! Be interested to know if it works.

Reply to
RJH