Replace thermostat without draining?

Seems like my thermostat is not working correctly and needs replacing. Do you think I will be able to take the old one out and fit the new one without draining the radiator, just topping it up? Comes out fairly easy just need to twist and pull I think, and is located near the top of the radiator. Also seems to be some kind of white corrosion surrounding it, is this normal?

Reply to
Andrew

Probably.

Reply to
MrCheerful

That sounds like the fan switch ie to turn the fan on when the engine's hot. It is a thermostat of sorts, but are you sure that's the one you mean? When people talk of car thermostats they usually mean the one that makes it warm up, which is on the engine block.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

Highly unlikely, but you should be able to tell by looking at the setup whether water is likely to flow out when you undo the thermo housing.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham