Restoroing Mk1 Escort - VIN?

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Only if it's a brand spankin' new shell.

I suspect they're Rather Hard To Find.

Reply to
Adrian

I have my suspicions that that's a simplification of the full regulations. Or things have changed recently. Or I'm mis-remembering reading about the points system where each axle was 10 points, engine 20 points, etc, etc, where it was actually possible to collect sufficient points without counting the bodyshell/chassis. Either way, it'd be worth finding the full regs.

Aye.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, undoubtedly.

Don't think so. Not in the last few years, at least.

Without one or the other, if they're separate. OTOH, if it's a monocoque, it's gotta be included.

Reply to
Adrian

I should have said affection _or_ familiarity.

I remember when Mk1 'scrotes were the Chav Saxos of their day, all loud exhausts, jacked up rear suspension and rear mud flaps tied back with bog chains. I still haven't quite got over my dislike of 'em.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That was my impressionable years, that was.

Reply to
Adrian

Because of how the system works, I doubt you have any legitimate claim to the registration number unless you have been declaring your old Escort SORN since you sold it for scrap.

Try asking the DVLA, they're bound to know better than anyone here.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No need, since it's not been taxed/changed keeper since SORN began.

Reply to
Adrian

Cunning.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Is it the car what you really really want and must have or will any Escort do? How much of the original car do you have to have and how much can you accept to be replaced before it's not the car you had/want. Is the reg number any good? Or in actual fact is it really just like any other?

Just how much trouble is this scrap car or it's registration number worth?

It sounds like a bare body restore is needed and many panels would need replacing. Only historic race / rally cars with history or very rare marques are worth this trouble.

Peter Hill

Thanks for that! Very thorough photo records of their restorations too.

(1929 Ford Model A - Special engineering project, exterior and interior restored to its original specification but engine and transmission are from Group 4 Ford Escort BDA rally car power output 250 hp.) How silly! Especially the (very convincing) fake wooden wheels. :-)

Reply to
Roger Hunt

It's a Mk1 Escort, of course its worth restoring (unless it's a 4 door)

Reply to
Pete M

SimonJ