Shogun MK1 Chassis Repair

A quick question relating to chassis repairs....

A mechanic today who was servicing my imacculate 16 year old MK1 Shogun LWB found a crack in the chassis, and said it was basically a write off and not worth repairing. As yet I have not seen the damage, but sureley it is not an issue legally to replace or re-weld a chassis section is it? The vehicle in question is pretty well rust free, and the damage has probably come from exessive towing weight (I had to replace the clutch a few weeks back) To "write it off" would mean not being worth £1000 worth of work, as the car has both sentimental value and a one owner history for the last 14 years. From what I'm told, the body hasn't twisted, so I can see no reason for scrapping or breaking her. (Won't get to see her properly 'till tomorrow).

Any advice / things to check or do would be very welcome.

Reply to
Madhouse

Madhouse ( snipped-for-privacy@freenet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not an issue at all.

Whether it _can_ be done properly without taking the body off the chassis IS an issue, though, especially on a car that's not worth much.

So don't, then. Get it done. But bear in mind that it won't be cheap and you could probably buy another one for the same or less than the bill will be.

Reply to
Adrian

My thoughts exactly. I started this evening looking for others to buy, and use mine as a doner, but its in such good condition I'd rather keep mine. If it means a body off job, I'm prepared to do it as I have the facilities even for something that big, so all I need is someone to assist my limited knowledge!

Reply to
Madhouse

It always surprises me the little amount of welding needed for garages to say it's a scrapper. If you have the facilities then get it done. Most garages will only have experience of welding on small patches, at best, so you might want to find somebody more experienced with 4x4 or agricultural welding.

Reply to
adder1969

From my experience a few yesrs back with a LandCruiser chassis, the chances are it can be welded easily enough - those chassis are made of thick metal to begin with, and on my LandCruiser I welded 3mm U-channels into the bit at the back end aft of the axle which always rusts on those. I would expect that the Shogun is similar; I've had one but don't remember that much abouth the chassis.

The Landcruiser was a tank-off job (but it had to come off for a corroded pickup pipe anyway), but could still be done properly without the body coming off. I lifted on axle stands high enough to sit upright beneath it! That would however depend where the crack is. Usually only those rear ends are U-section, the rest is a full box.

I would point out of course that as the steel is so thick, it takes a heavy-duty welder rather than the normal car body MIG!

Shogun bodies survive well IME, but if the car means that much to you, go for it - treat it like a classic restoration and make it the best Shogun in town!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Where is the crack? front, middle, back or cross member. Is it under the floor, or roadside under the car?

Remember this is a car with a chassis, so if the cracks below the floor, why not cut a section out of the floor to gain access.

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

I'm a happy chappy! The crack is very easy to do and easy to get at. Yes, decent "agricultural" welding is required (I've never used a mig anyway) but the repair (just afore the OS rear spring mount) isn't too bad, and there is absoluteley no evidence of distortion whatsover. So this Shogun will definately live on (although Mum in a mad rush has splashed out on a rather nice new replacement today)!

Garage offered £350 for it in part ex, and were almost begging for it when we collected the new one today and gave them the cash instead! :-)

Reply to
Madhouse

I have run a MK1 for years, and I have done numerous chassis repairs. Th common points are: Smack between the rear spring hangers. Round section that supports fuel tank (X member in front of tank). Dont take body off - there is plenty of room Tank support can be replaced with round pipe just dress the tank fixings to a smaller size. Good luck Dave

Reply to
Dave Brook