Result!

Bought a Mondeo the other day and as is common with older cars it didn't have any spare keys. In particular, this one didn't have the red master key.

So I sent a stamped addressed jiffybag to the previous owner with a polite note asking if he had the keys - and this morning a spare key /and/ the red master arrived!

Reply to
Guy King

Nice result. Mind you, I've got loads of old car keys lying around. Send me a jiffy bag and they're all yours :-))

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Good move! I just sent a postcard asking the previous owner to call me. She never did.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

The message from "shazzbat" contains these words:

They won't make the Mundano work though.

Anyway, had another nice result this morning. The electric headlamp adjuster had died on one side and the little motor was running its heart out the whole time. My son and I took it apart and found that water had got in and crudded up the little sliding potentiometer so the electronics thought it hadn't reached the desired position and had wound the lead-screw off the end of its nut.

Forty minutes tinkering, with the assistance of a nine year old[1] and it's all working again, saving the waste and expense of replacing an otherwise good lamp unit. This time, unlike the previous owner, we put the waterproof cover back on properly.

[1] Would have taken half that without the assistance, but that's what it's all about, innit.
Reply to
Guy King

..[2]

[2] But then again when it comes to programming the video recorder...

I was scrapping a tumble drier recently and my 6yo helped me take it apart (mostly just for fun and so he can start learning that sort of stuff. He has a real knack for it, could easily see the vital screws.

He's gonna be dangerous...

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

Has he/you seen Secret Life of Machines?

Bloody marvellous for that age - and any. And it's got Tim Hunkin and Rex Garrod, too. Superb role models for small boys and girls.

If their server's run out of bandwidth again let me know and I'll post you a set.

Reply to
Guy King

Got it all on DVD, ta. I found the (legal) torrent for it and grabbed it ages ago...

Not *so* sure about the role model aspect, though. But there are certainly much worse people they could model themselves after. I just don't want 40 foot tall flame belching old-car sculptures in my back garden in a few years time...

;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Give me a few details and I will make you a key! It's easier than you think, combine it with knowledge of alarms and immobilisers and it can make you think about taking extra security precautions.

Reply to
Brian

lol yeah better hide your screwdriver set.

A good age to encourage stuff like this I think.

Reply to
dadindistress

The message from "Brian" contains these words:

Very possibly, but this cost me about a quid.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

I can think of many many worse things.

We have a standing invitation to visit Rex Garrod's workshop in Suffolk

- one of these days I'm going to have to get round to taking him up on it.

Reply to
Guy King

They look like a pair of child molesters.

Reply to
Ian

Its the ones that don't,that you have to watch out for. The best thieves don't carry a bag marked swag you know.

Dave

Reply to
gort