Reversing sensor fitted!!!

[...]

I'm also a Focus owner who is crap at reversing. (Come to think of it, I'm not so hot at going forwards slowly either!)

I generally find it better to reverse in to a space on the basis that coming out in to the traffic stream forwards gives better visibility, and is thus safer.

WRT shopping, I always put my supermarket bags on the floor behind the front seat. If I put them in the boot, everything falls out.

Friends whose parking skills are superior to mine, including an HGV1 driver, have all commented on how difficult it is to judge the corners of the Focus, especially the rear.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Hmm - most imported goods like this have dropped dramatically in the last few years due to the strong pound. And perhaps greater production.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Odd, I find reversing in much easier than going in nose first. It is much easier to line the car up properly going backwards and of course easier than reversing out blind into a (sometimes) stream of passing vehicles.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I also find it easier to reverse into spaces, especially in car parks where it can be a tight squeeze at full lock with a relatively large car. Using the mirrors one can get closer than an inch to pillars or other cars, and see you're going to miss them. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I drive a Focus saloon, and although I've confidently reversed a variety of cars for the 22 years I've been driving, I never feel confident about this car. The boot is quite high and I'm never 100% certain how much space I have behind me.

I've yet to prang it though, maybe it's down to being over cautious!

Morse

Reply to
Morse

Given the number of dents and scratches my E39 has picked up from others in carparks I no longer park anywhere near other cars. I had one entire side re-done after being scraped when parked by a hit and run driver and had to pay quite a bit of the cost myself due to previous damage. A few months later it collected another metal denting scrape from a trolley on the same side.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was a colleague's approach. "Hey since this thing works on dopplar, if I park at my usual speed, it'll work just gre- crunch."

Wuckfit broke the parking sensor and never bothered replacing it. :)

Reply to
DervMan

I think the front one works by automatically switching the main beam headlights and the right indicator on if it discovers another car in front in the BMW lane on the motorway.

Reply to
SimonJ

When reverse is selected both front and rear sensors are activated but there's also a button on the dash to switch it on or off. The pitch is different for front and rear but I wouldn't say that was essential :-)

Reply to
adder1969

No we just drive everywhere with the front fog lights on. I don't understand why people can't understand that we and our cars are in fact superior. ;-)

Reply to
adder1969

What use is a front parking sensor when in reverse? Or does it detect things at either side of the front end too?

Reply to
David Taylor

And presumably the manual describes how to test the system with other cars on the motorway...

Reply to
David Taylor