Brakes "clonk" when reversing..

Hello! got a 240 estate, B Reg with an odd "clonk" to the brakes when reversing / parking.. there is a noticeable judder when it happens..handbrake is pretty ineffective too. What should I be looking for on pulling the wheels off...?

Les

-- "Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

Reply to
Les & Claire

Someone else may have a more definitive answer than this, but on the 700 series there are spring clips on the pads that help to keep them tightly in position to help prevent that type of noise.

I'd look for:

1) loose/broken caliper pins/bolts 2) missing/worn/broken pad springs 3) other loose/worn parts

Can you make it clonk repeatedly by reversing direction without letting off the brakes? Assuming it's more towards the front of the car?

Nice sig line, BTW! ;-)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony Flint

-- Top Posting© Since 1997

....... thanks Tony, no, it's to the rear. I seem to remember a very odd disk/drum arrangement on the 240. Pads on a drum for handbrake and large flanges off the drum for the callipers to press the pads on. It's due for MOT so perhaps I'll just shove it in for the test and use the failure report as a list of jobs to do.... it still stops, but don't park it on a slope!! Heh Heh.....

Les

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd time!"

Reply to
Les & Claire

The clonk seems to be pretty common, my 240 did, and both my 740's do. (same brakes) I think it's some kind of brake stop on the back plate that has a certain amount of travel that does it. It's never bothered me except the slight roll back when you apply the handbrake on a hill then release the footbrake does give some a "wee" panic. As to the ineffectual handbrake, assuming the cables are adjusted properly, it's caused by wear in two components in the handbrake system. Take off the combined disk/drum brake to see the handbrake parts. The two involved are the "cammed" puller bit the cable attaches too (operating lever?), and the thick plate held on with two bolts the cable comes through that the lever sits on. The first part flattens so the pull doesn't move it as much, and the second rounds out, causing the same. replacing both gives you a handbrake that will stick you too a wall. At least it did on my C reg :)

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Stuart Gray:

Ditto. I've had several 200s and a 700 and they've all clonked.

I recently replaced the handbrake shoes on mine. The 1mm of wear (or thereabouts) on the lining material translated into 3 inches of cable adjustment, and a non-working handbrake became usable again.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Ooops, I forgot to include "make sure shoes are good" eh? Thanks Stewart

Stuart :)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

....... thanks all, reassuring about the "clonk" ... it's the first thing you think about when you see a roundabout sign on the A303 at 75....... I've tried winding the nut between the front seats to no noticeable effect. New pads next then I think....

Les

-- Top Posting© Since 1997