Rover 420 leaking oil

Just a quick question for the experts on this group.

I've got a Rover 420 SLi, 1997 which has done around 68000 miles. Regularly serviced and reasonably well looked after.

The problem is that it's developed an oil leak from the top of the engine - for pictures, see

Can anyone tell me what the problem is likely to be, and how easy is it to fix. Is it likely to be expensive?

Cheers, Shaun.

Reply to
Rover Owner

There appears to be oil emerging from the cover most of the way round and also from the bottom of the head in one place. My guess is it's both. The best thing to do is to try to find which it is by cleaning the engine off with Gunk and seeing where the oil stain starts after it's been running a mile or two or twenty. The cover will be just a relatively cheap gasket, whereas the head will be a sod.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Don't think it's the head. I reckon it's either the rocker cover gasket or the camshaft end gaskets - these are known to go hard and then start leaking on older cars.

Reply to
Chris Street

Its normal

yes you read right - a foible well known in rover circles is the head weep- and to a lesser extent the rocker cover weep. Head weep can be cured by inserting a small copper pipe section in the oilway nearest the end (approx

19 mm long, 6mm internal 8mm external dia, typical heating pipe).

The cam cover weep can be annoying as even new cover gaskets seem to give way after a while - but feel free to renew yours. Rover made an all metal Klinger head gasket that was supposed to cure the problem, either way, the pipe is the most reliable fix.

Unless its really losing a lot of oil, just ignore it. For more reading, checkout rovertech.net or mg-rover.org (or the rover800 yahoo group -same engine, different body)

Hth

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

Cam cover gasket is starting to go a little porous. Wouldn't bother doing it. Not leaking badly enough.

Reply to
Conor

Ok, thanks to all who replied.

Looks like it is 'head weep', so I'll have a go at replacing the cam cover gasket with the Klinger one when I get a chance.

Shaun.

Reply to
Rover Owner

Well normally I wouldn't bother but it's leaking a few drops of oil onto the drive after every journey and it's making a bit of a mess.

Also, I've noticed a noxious smell in the car on most journeys, especially when the car's standing still with the engine running. I reckon this is caused by oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold - so it's probably worth replacing to stop that.

Shaun.

Reply to
Rover Owner

Klinger head gasket, cam cover ones were those cork looking things (but there might be other materials now).

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

I've just enquired at the local Rover garage and apparently the new cam cover gaskets are made of rubber (he thinks!). You reckon this is the one to go for, or are there any third party ones that are better?

Shaun.

Reply to
Rover Owner

I've not bothered with mine, its very light- the others comments are usually something like 'doesn't matter what ones you use or how carefully you tighten them, it still bloody leaks'. I would have hoped that new ones of any type would keep it at bay for a little while at least- just do your best by observing the correct tightening sequence and use the best small torque wrench you have to ensure uniform pressure over the whole cover.

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad