Rover 600 Diesel cutting out

Hi,

Now that the summer is here, I have noticed that in hot weather my 600 SLDI tends to occasionally cut out.

It normally manafests itself on very hot days, after a 30 mile drive home from work. I knock it into neutral and turn into my driveway and the engine stops. It will not restart unless the ignition is swiched off completly and it will then start again first time.

The other day It really caught me out. I was stuck in gridlocked traffic in the city for about 30 mins and it cut out.......but refused to restart at all. I opened the bonnet and noticed the compartment was VERY hot........in fact I could barely touch the bonnet support rod. I pulled the fuse to the ECU for 10 seconds in an effort to reset the thing.....still would not restart. It started after about 5 minutes....I guess it cooled down.....

Could the fan thermostat need replacing?............it did'nt come on once during that traffic jam....and it felt like it should have.......perhaps the engine cuts out when the coolant is about to boil?

Any ideas?

Reply to
paul

Don't know anything about the ECU on this model but on petrol Rovers if they cut out when parking it is due to the idle speed control stepper motor not working fast enough to compensate for the extra drag on the engine of the power steering when turning on to full lock, reseting the base idle speed exactly to Rover spec usuaully cures it, -- but of course the way the idle speed is controlled on you car is very different.

Reply to
Captain Ahab

hot........in

This really could be anything, however the first place to check is the output from the CAS when its very hot. Output voltage is directly proportional to engine speed, so if the connection or sensor is marginal output will drop below the threshold at which the ecu recognises and so then assumes the engine has stalled so stops fuelling it.

A tell tale is a tacho needle which drops to zero infront of the engine stalling, and or which doesnt flicker when you crank it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Don't think thats the problem.

I did have a petrol model of this car before the diesel and I know what you mean.......the engine revs do dip at idle when you throw in alot of steering lock...........however the diesel does'nt suffer from that at all.........produces much more torque at idle than the petrol engine.

I think my problem is definately temperature related.

Reply to
paul

Excuse my ignorance,

But By CAS do you mean the Crank shaft position sensor?

Reply to
paul

have.......perhaps

I do indeed. CAS- crank angle sensor. CPS = camshaft position sensor. try not to confuse the two.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.