Rover Blowing Blue Smoke

Hi,

I bought an N Reg Rover 414 with a blown headgasket last year, as I already had a K Reg Rover 214 we were advised to have the engine's swapped over so a couple of hundred quid later had a nice car that was running well.

9 Month's later we did a service including oil and filter change, ever since the car has been burning oil but not all the time just every now and again. Then it got really bad and I smogged out manchester. The second I took it into the garage it stopped smoking. They checked the oil and water level's and everything seemed fine (apart from needing a little top up of oil) The car didn't smoke for over a week until a police car got behind me and it smoked so badly the police man pulled me over and made me promise to take it to a garage immediatly. which I did.

Again it decided to stop smoking but the oil was back down to the minimum, there is no water in the oil and no oil in the water. Any idea's anyone??

Please i'm desparate. Do I scrap the car? or can I fix it myself on a limited budget?

Thank's for reading.

Reply to
sno_queen

If its a TDi, i'd say a Blown Turbo?

Reply to
A C

No it's Rover Si, but the engine came from a Rover 214 SLI

Reply to
sno_queen

are you sure it is oil burning? I once had an Austin 1800 that would every now and then chuck out a cloud of smoke, it turned out to be the brake master cylinder leaking into the servo, filling that, then being sucked into the engine when the level was high enough.

If not then I suggest you check all the breather system, it may be clogged and sometimes not breathing as it should.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Well I assume it's oil, I'm getting blue smoke that really really stinks, plus the oil level went from maximum to minimum it a little over a week.

Reply to
sno_queen

I slightly overfilled one of those once and was doing lots of short journeys too. The breather pipe got custardy and the first time I really opened out the throttle a few weeks later I made a huge wall of fog on the M4 near Slough. As much as it was a public service to shield the drivers on the M4 from having to see Slough, I was worried enough to pull over. Once the throttle dropped it stopped making a smoke screen.

Our next door neighbour at the time worked in a Rover dealer and told me to check the breather pipe. Once I'd flushed it through, everything was much better.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

May be head gasket, leaking oil straight into combustion chamber on the no.1 pot (it is a common fault)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful