ROVER METRO/100 Easy cooling system question

Hi, Hopefully this is very simple. On a Rover metro/100 when you start the car, should the radiator cooling fan also start straight away?

Cooling system damaged, with a bit of coolant leakage, but problem seems to be that the coolant is boiling over cause the fan isn't turning. Is it common for the motor to just go and doesnt seem to be any damage to the fan unit.

Thanks for looking at this one. Bob

Reply to
Bob

============= The fan is thermostatically controlled. It only switches on when the engine is very hot - NOT at startup. I've never had one fail on 4 Metros so my experience suggests that they're quite reliable.

You don't say HOW the cooling system is damaged but the boiling over is almost certainly not due to fan failure. Try fixing the damage and possibly flush the system to cure the problem.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from colin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Bob) contains these words:

No.

If you're losing coolant with bubbles in the header tank, that sounds far more like a head gasket than a cooling system fault.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

To which there's a mass chorus of "Is it a K-series?"

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

If it's a 100 - then yes, it is.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The 1.1 was a K, too?

I know the 1.4 was - I bought an inlet manifold off a GTi today... (don't ask) - but I thought that was the smallest K?

Reply to
Adrian

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, yeh, then there's the diseasel...

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Yes.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Ah, yes, sorry, I rather assumed petrol.

Reply to
Guy King

Which IIRC was French....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're getting predictable, Tim.

Reply to
Adrian

I prefer "consistent"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I prefer "Factual"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I prefer "Informative"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Thanks for all the replies everybody.

Just to clear up model; its a 1998 100 1.1L petrol.

Removed radiator on Sat, and it is actually leaking, so looking about a replacement. I think it might have been hit by a mis guided skyrocket over halloween (!!!!!!!!!)

Ignoring damage like that, old age, or road debris causing a puncture, is there anything else that could actually cause a leak, like could it overheat enough to melt part of radiator.

Cheers for the help Bob

Reply to
Bob

The message from colin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Bob) contains these words:

Really, it's most likely to be old age.

Reply to
Guy King

GUESS WHAT, TAKEN TO GARAGE AND IT IS THE HEAD GASKET THATS GONE. Now does anyone have any good links to sites that give a good explanation of the replacement process. Ta

Reply to
Bob

A K series head gasket failure? Never... That'd be like a rusty Alfasud.. Never happens...

Meanwhile, in the real world

"they all do that, sir"

Reply to
Pete M

fwd vauxhalls -hmm for me it would have to be Renalts, all of em

Reply to
George Spigot

souls

Reply to