Rover windscreen come unstuck!

Hi,

The windscreen in my wife's Rover 218SLD seems to be coming unstuck. We've had the car for 3 years now and never noticed it before; I drove it today and noticed that every time I went over a bump there was a 'squeak' from the trim around the screen. Sure enough, there's 4-5mm of movement when I push on the screen from the inside. It's just the bottom driver's side corner at the moment but I'm assuming it'll get worse over time. It passed an MoT a few days ago, clearly this isn't something they check! On closer inspection it looks like somebody has tried to bodge it with what looks like black bathroom sealer - or does pukka windscreen glue look like this? I've got a nasty feeling this'll be a replacement windscreen job (TPO insurance so £££) - unless anyone out there knows different?

Reply to
Rhydian

The message from Rhydian contains these words:

Windscreen mastic is black and remarkably like bathroom sealant - though a bit less rubbery.

Reply to
Guy King

Ring around your local windscreen places - there are some independant ones. They're often difficult to remove without breaking but it can be done and remember that that glue and glass is part of the roll structure of the car.

If it's not fitting right it could be a sign of previous accident damage...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance?

If so, then I'd suggest that you should be able to have it replaced for just the excess.

Reply to
SteveH

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or - more likely - a badly replaced windscreen.

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Umm, Steve...

Reply to
Adrian

Ooops, yeah. Should have waited until I was completely awake before posting.

Reply to
SteveH

Dunno. Earlier SD1s and Maestros were notorious for the 'glue' failing and leaking. Present day replacement involves a different 'glue' - probably the same as all other cars?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A man once told me: Make sure you've got cover, spring loaded centrepunch looks just like a pebble has hit your windscreen

Reply to
MrBlueSkye