That Land Rover on Top Gear on Sunday

I was watching Top Gear on Sunday and saw a Land Rover that was fully kitted out with stuff Ray Mears would love, it seemed to be something designed for expeditions or something, does anyone know if this kind of thing can be bought of the shelf from Land Rover or are they bespoke, it seems to be based around the Defender but I don't know much more then that, sorry.

Reply to
Jim

It was an off-the-shelf D90 with a fairly complete offroad kit added. Figure on it costing around £5k over and above the D90s cost to get this.

Items I spotted were:

Winch Winch Bumper Larger tyres Expedition roofrack Lotsa Lights Waffleboards on the roofrack Hi Lift Tree wires Towing Bridle fixed to the bumper Some form of hook on the bumper (couldn't see) Some ariel attached - I think it was CB but could have been 2m.

Not a real problem to build given the time - I'd figure on less than a week to do yourself once the parts arrive.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Being outside of the UK I only know of the Bowler Tomcat been presented in last season's Top Gear.

If you need further >

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Er isn't the ultimate survivalist land rover called a series 1, 2 or 3 ? the only serios bomb proof landrover you can fix with bits of string and tin can, can't get more bespoke than that :)

Reply to
Larry

I'm trying to think of anything on my 200 Disco that's more difficult to fix than the guts of a Series motor and failing. Likewise with most RRCs prior to 1989.

Wolf Defenders are pretty much the same.

No reason to stick to a Series as long as the motor you have is entirely mechanical with no tricky dicky electronics to go wrong.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

'scoose me, but that was the Lara Croft's 110 Hi-Cap from the first Tomb Raider movie (I just double checked on the TiVo). That puppy cost a bit more than £5k over-and-above a standard model, I tell you.

Reply to
Smorgo

As for kitting it out - just looking at it it looks like a couple of hundred quid of checkerplate all over the interior, £300 of sand ladder, a chunky safety cage, £300 of spotlights, £800 of winch, a £60 fire extinguisher and £1500 of Sony Vaio, £180 of Mantec snorkel, £120 of steering protector, around £400 of winch bumper and nudge bars - what have I missed?

I suspect a lot of the cost of that motor was LRSVs time.

For some reason it looked like a 90 to me on screen.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Sounds like my Blenheim Silver LRSV 90 CSW then :-))

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Well I don't really like the look of Disco's they are not so utilitarian, even though my series is a station wagon, there is still loads of carrying space in the back. besides which the spares are cheaper I believe and the bodywork more amenable to make do and mend without spoiling the overall look of the thing, what is more you never have to polish it.

Reply to
Larry

Oh that one, yes I have seen it.

Reply to
Larry

Hand-built aluminium dashboard £??? Replace original diesel engine with 4L V8 with auto box £???

5x BFG Mud terrains on (black 8 spokes IIRC): £750? Seats (Recaro's?) £??? Low-range crawler gears (apparently) £???

Probably. The total cost was $175,000 each (there were two). So, roughly £100,000 in real money.

Reply to
Smorgo

Down the local hardwares for the plate and a pair of tinsnips :)

Reply to
Larry

Replace with 3.5V8 with straight thru pipes actually ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

How road legal are straight-thru's?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

My guess would be perfectly as long as they complied with noise and emissions regs

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I just ask 'cos it would be so much easier making up (repairing!) my home-made bodge on a '75 S-III V8 transplant using straight pipe. Might be ok at "burble" throttle settings but would have quite a bark if unleashed I should think. Currently use a single box right at the back end and it's pretty loud. (note to self: must experiment with fitting the box further forward, i.e. with longer tail-pipe to see if that makes any difference).

Steve

Reply to
Steve