Rust repair.

I've got a little bit of rust on the rear wheel arches and taking it for mot at the end of Sept. Can someone advise on how to cut out and fill small bits and what stuff I need.

Many thanks

Gaynor

Reply to
Tim and/or Gaynor Bott

If you would need to cut it out, then the body must still be solid underneath. Just sand off as much rust as possible and treat it with a rust killer, then paint over the top.

You only need to use a filler when you can push your finger through. If it's this bad, how to repair will depend on whether or not it is in a load bearing area. In a load bearing area you will have to weld a "patch" on, otherwise clear away as much rust as possible, kill the remaining rust and fill with whatever filler your local car parts place sells.

--

DP

"Tim and/or Gaynor Bott" mumbled:

Ah, that'll depend....

If it's within a certain distance of a structural part then filler won't do it'll have to be welded in properly.

If it's not then you can fill it and paint it to your heart's content....

Chip away at the overlying ing paint with a screwdriver or similar implement till you get to a bit that isn't rusty. Then stop!

Rub down with fine abrasive (I find those sponge decorating pads good) to get rid of all traces of rust.

Here opinions diverge. I spray with zinc rich primer before filling with...er...filler! Once filled and sanded to shape then again with zinc to cover any bits of bare metal you've rubbed up while sanding to shape then with ordinary primer then with the proper paint, with gentle rubs with fine paper in between as needed.

The /inside/ of the wheelarch, sand back to bare shiny metal, zinc paint several times then apply a thick layer of underseal to keep the water and salt out.

Reply to
Guy King

Many thanks for this - it is on the edge of both wheel arches and not near anywhere structural - I have a fair bit of patience ( have to with 4 kids) so I thought that I would have a go.

Gaynor

Reply to
Tim and/or Gaynor Bott

"Tim and/or Gaynor Bott" mumbled:

Seatbelt mountings? I can't for the life of me remember how far it is, but seat belt mountings are often too near if it's on the lower front edge of the arch.

Reply to
Guy King

I'll have a look - how many inches clear do you need rust free of the seat belt mountings??

Gaynor

Reply to
Tim and/or Gaynor Bott

"Tim and/or Gaynor Bott" mumbled:

Really can't remember! Someone here must know.

Reply to
Guy King

It's 30cm (11.8").

Terry D.