Rust treatment stuff -- recommendations please!

Got a rusty bit on my Golf... about 2 inches long on the passengers' door. Warning! 861kb image -

Can anyone recommend a product to help me deal with it? Is a respray my only option, or can I get touch up paint in the (exact) right colour!

Reply to
Krycek

"Krycek" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, sorry, but that looks as if it's coming through from inside, via a crack in filler or similar from an inept accident repair?

What age of Golf?

Reply to
Adrian

you need another door

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Rats

2002
Reply to
Krycek

Dinitrol Converust available from Frost Auto Restoration.

Reply to
Conor

*Ding*. IME the area where the skin is folded over the frame will be rotted to hell.

The other option of course is to live with it. Which is what I'd probably do...

Reply to
Doki

Pull all the internal door panel off, clean out any dirt and crap that is probably holding moisture from the rain that goes down the window seals everytime it rains and brush engine oil all around the bottom. Slap a bit of grease in the corners too if you like. It won't make the outside look any better, but it won't get any worse. If you care about the car, I'd do both doors while you are about it and make sure the drain holes in the bottom of the doors are clear.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

And that won't look a load of shit?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I wouldn't have thought so, if done right.

Reply to
R D S

Pretty much what i did an sure enough there was a thin layer of s**te down there holding moisture.

In the end i uses some phospheric acid based rust converter (Rustins i think) primed it and painted it with Hammerite and on my black car it is hardly noticeable -not that i care anyway, i just didnt want it rusting.

I laced the inside with hammerite too as i thought that oil and grease may just hold more s**te in the long run....

So far soo good, but im not too bothered about cosmetics.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Is that a patch welded on the sill as well... just below the line of the door edge?

Reply to
alo

Looks that way, the previous owner must have had that done.

Reply to
Krycek